Monday, November 17, 2008

Movie Malaise

I am not a comic book geek anymore (unlike many of the contributors on this blog) and that is okay – both that they are and that I am not. In fact, I have been out of the loop for quite some time and have not seen many of the comic book movies that have come out in the last 5 years. I have not seen Iron Man, Fantastic 4, Spiderman 2, or even the newest Batman (though it is high on my list). Really, they don’t seem to be all that enthralling to me and typically the acting turns out to be a real let down. So, to say I am less than delighted to hear that there are 75 comics being made into films as we speak is an understatement. As I look down the list, I recognize very few of the comics (again going back to me being “out of the game”). No doubt few will actually make it on the big screen, but I am sure that even fewer of those will be worth watching.

The fact is, in my opinion, movies in general just suck these days. Nothing comes out that makes me turn to Carrie and say, “Let’s go through the hassle setting aside a night and getting a babysitter so we can go to the theatre and pay $7/person to see that movie.” It never happens. I saw the “Lord of the Rings” Trilogy in the theatre, and Carrie likes to see the “Harry Potter” movies in the theatre. That’s it. Even after these movies come out on video, we don’t rent them. I am too busy and tired to sit through the drivel that passes for movies these days. I know there are exceptions, but by and large the plots show a lack of ingenuity, so producers try to make up for this deficiency with special effects or star power. Neither do it for me.

So I ask, “Can anyone give me a good reason why I should go to the theatre? Can anyone tell me why I should give my time and money to Hollywood anymore?” Because as it currently stands, I am pretty much done.

2 comments:

Regan Clem said...

I would wager that it is less the quality of the movies and more the station you are in life. At one point in life, every idea seemed fresh and original (even though they weren't). We look back longingly at those days as the days of creativity (when they were actually also viewed as creative regurgitation by others older than us).

Hollywood is doing what it has always done. They make a few good movies along with a bunch of crap. At earlier points in our life we were bamboozled into thinking the crap was creative. Whether the source material is comic books, a novel, a video game, or an original screenplay is pretty irrelevant. None of it is original. Nothing can be original; it can only be done well.

It just sucks getting old and realizing that there is no such thing as originality, although there are people out there who are like we were when we thought regurgitated material was original. Oh, the humanity. Now we do the same thing with ideas although none of them are original. They are just new to us.

Austin Long said...

without going into a huge anti-media rant, i will just say i agree with you and regan.

i've just become a lot more selective. i won't see just anything. the only movies i've seen in the theater in the last year are the dark knight (imax, totally recommend it) and quantum of solace (defintely see).

i'm not seeing big momma's house or some teenybopper movie or almost any of the comic movies.

the way to go is wait. you will know if a movie is any good because your interactions with friends will lead you to those movies. or keep your eyes open and when it hits the video store, give it a try for 3 bucks instead of 7. or really wait and go through the library. i waited for vantage point and am glad i didn't waste any money on it.

food for thought.