Tuesday, January 13, 2009

as we all know, the BCS is BS

Started the first season of Monk. My question, what is the difference between this show and the Mentalist?

Both are “consultants” to law enforcement; both operate outside the system with unusual methods; both have a keen eye for observation and putting seemingly unrelated pieces together; both lost their wives in tragic incidents.

I didn’t race to get to get through the season. I only watched 4 or 5 episodes and I don’t think I can commit to Monk going forwards. If he is reinstated to the force, who cares? There is no way he should have a gun, so that aspect of the story is a non-issue. At least with the Mentalist, he is trying to capture a criminal and get justice and closure.

You take these shows and House and the new show Liar coming out and it’s like we’ve got some sort of Sherlock Holmes obsession. Is it because we all want to be genius, observant misanthropes or do we just like mysteries that can be contained within 44 minutes? Some realistic, some not.



Moving on to Burn After Reading. I think I went into the film with the wrong level of expectation. I didn’t really like it at all. Brad Pitt was hilarious and Malkovich throwing F bombs all over the place was funny, and who can forget the contraption in the basement, but I heard the final piece of dialogue, what did we learn?, and was like exactly. I was expecting some sort of story but it was just a random 90 minutes with several characters interacting then dying. I think I need to watch it again knowing what will happen, which is nothing. I’m sure I’m overthinking this.



Went to Art’s bar for the BCS National Championship game, which, when you think about it, is the most ludicrous name for the game. It’s not a championship game in any real sense. It is a game between the top teams in a series of polls and algorithms. I won’t go into a rant about the need for playoff in the FBS division (another stupid name), but will just say that I was shocked that actual defense was played by both sides. I totally expected and wanted a 38-35 game and got a defensive stalemate for 3 quarters. Oklahoma really should have put more points on the board and paid the price for not doing so. A good game, not great, and how much better would it have been if the winner of this game got Utah or USC?



Finally, I started subscribing to the Dan Patrick podcast. Since the Tony Kornheiser show is not coming back, I had to find an alternative sports/pop culture show. What a great show and I highly recommend it. I don’t know when I’m going to find time to listen to it, but I will work on it.



Ta Ta.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The difference is MONK has been around a LOT longer. Psych has also been a lot longer. I don't watch the Mentalist because it's a carbon copy of other good shows.

BCS...I agree.

Fabian

Brandon Caroland said...

For other shows that are remarkably similar, Fringe is an amazing duplication of the X files. As is 11th Hour. I like Fringe, I've given up on 11th hour because it's on the same time as BURN NOTICE a nice original show on USA.