Tuesday, January 20, 2009

media shame spiral

So I finished the Watchmen trade paperback in preparation for the movie release. What an amazing book, especially for the time. The issues raised re: power and responsibility, the nature of being a hero, and the neurosis of dressing up to fight crime were not new, but the application to a superhero world was new.

I can’t wait for the movie, but I’m a little worried it will be a let down. Here’s hoping.



I have started the Shield. Talk about blurring the lines of right and wrong. Vic Mackey is a highly complicated character that is able to be a mirror and foil to all the other characters on the show. Who of us is perfect and what are your motives seem to be the underlying themes of the show.

I really like the Dutch character and find myself despising the captain although I could see him turning completely to the dark side over time. Great show. Check it out.



When I got back from Alabama, I picked up an issue of the Noise and saw their top ten albums of the year.

I immediately decided not to listen to Erykah Badu and Lil Wayne. Yes I am closed minded. So I put the rest on hold at the library and plan to go through them over the next couple of months.

First up, Elbow, “The Seldom Seen Kid.” Imagine Coldplay mixed with My Morning Jacket mixed with ethereal downers. Definitely have to be in the right frame of mind for this album. Not something to turn up to 11 in the car and cruise. I plan to come back to it and see if I change my mind.


Next Los Campesinos, “Hold on Now, Youngster . . .” This is high energy punk/pop and every song sounds the same. So if you like it, it’s great. If you’re like me, and you don’t, not so great.

So 0 for 2. Hopefully some of the other albums will deliver.



One of the movies I picked up on Netflix was “The Beautiful Century”, which is basically a recap of the first 100 years of FIFA. It was a good overall history and highlighted key moments. This would be a great introduction for someone unfamiliar with soccer.

Watching it reminded me of how great South Korea was in 2002. The passion of the team and the crowd was something to behold. And then there’s Al Gore handing the World Cup Trophy to Dunga in LA, with this huge dorky smile. He has no idea what is going on but just smiles and claps.

One editorial point. The video does serve as a propaganda piece for Sepp Blatter’s legacy. He is not responsible for the rise of women’s soccer, great strides in Africa and the worldwide appeal of the game. Those things were in place long before him and one could say have developed in spite of him.



Finally, watched Juve v Lazio on Sunday. With a win, Juve would trim Inter’s lead to just 1 point. After 20 minutes I was praying for a draw. Lazio played at a frenetic pace and should have been 2 up after 30’. They did get one goal after Manniger made his first major error of the season. After that Juve got back in the game, snagged a goal and finished the first half on a high note. The second half they really took control of the game but couldn’t create the right opportunity for a second. In the end a draw was fair result.

Only 3 points behind Inter. I cannot believe that. I haven’t completely turned around my opinion but you can’t fault the fight of the team and the results. They still need to sign some players. Like Mauro Zarate from Lazio. Wow. Pacy, tricky and aggressive. I’ll take him please.



United v Spurs on Saturday in the FA Cup. Cannot wait.



Ta Ta.

1 comment:

Sam said...

I regard to your discussion about Noise's top 10 list, I will state it here and now - Lil' Wayne is what is wrong with hip hop of the last 5 years. He is awful and a no talent ass clown. Why can't people like him be taken in gang wars instead of Tu-Pac or Biggie?

Anyway, how does the Shield compare with NYPD Blue?