Tuesday, February 10, 2009

music reviews, 25 things, soccer

Sam mentioned that music hadn’t really been a topic on the blog. Agreed. So here’s my contribution.

Bob Mould, District Line. At the library I stumbled across this album from the former lead singer of Sugar. There were a couple of strong tracks (Stupid Now and The Silence Between Us) that really had that Sugar feel, so I enjoyed those. The album as a whole was weak. I now plan on looking for some of his other solo albums to get a better feel of his sound. By the way, if you have never listened to Sugar, do so ASAP.

I also checked out the Killers album Day and Age. AWFUL!!! It was as if they produced a song with a Casio keyboard a la 1985 and then copied it 10 times and created a CD. Truly horrible.

I am still moving through the Top 10 albums according to Noise. Plan to review TV on the Radio next week.



Last week, I gave into Facebook peer pressure and did “25 Things About Me.” http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/note.php?note_id=47599016644

I started it and was planned to bail after 5 or 6, but it went pretty quickly, so I did the whole thing. It was enjoyable exercise. Brandon tagged me on “25 bands”, which may be a little tougher.



I watched the movie Primer, which is a mindfuck of major proportions. I read their wikipedia page and it was amazing. Made for like $7000, it will blow your mind. They have a great diagram that sort of illustrates the crux of the movie. I definitely recommend it. I’m watching it again to get a better understanding of it.



Watched Spurs v Arsenal Sunday afternoon with James. Boy do I want those 2 hours of my life back. Eboue is a complete tool and should be cut immediately. Arsenal actually played well with 10 men and most grabbed a goal on a couple of occasions. Without Adebayor, they are in real trouble. As for Spurs, one word CLUELESS. They had no idea how to score. You can’t go up the middle against Arsenal. And then they had no one to cross the ball, so they were stuck. Chimbonda. What a joke. He is terrible and I have no idea why they resigned him.

United and Barca roll on, with Barcelona in amazing form. Cannot wait until the Champions League starts again.



Finally, I played at LISA South on Sunday night. The heater went out so it was like 40 degrees in the bubble. Wore a warm up suit for the first game; could see your breath; couldn’t feel your hands. Crazy.

Ta Ta for now.

2 comments:

mindbender said...

Ditto on Primer. It's not a film I suggest for most people, but for those into SERIOUS sci-fi, or thinking, it's really something to wrap your head around.

I checked out TV on the Radio, but wasn't that impressed myself. Your mileage may vary though. Ditto again on the Killers.

JD said...

No--I'm sorry, I just can't figure out the appeal of TV on the Radio. I know they're supposed to be brilliant or whatever, but I find them to be verging on unlistenable. Saw them on SNL last week and while I can handle odd vocals and still get into it (Thom Yorke, hello?) I just thought their performance was a keening caterwauling mess. Blech.