Tuesday, February 17, 2009

pull me away from the tv

Where do I start?

Watched a lot of soccer over the weekend.

Saturday was the Betis/Barcelona game. Betis put Barca on the back foot and was up 2-0 after 30 minutes. Barca got a soft penalty on the stroke of halftime to give them the momentum going into the second half. Their slick interplay didn’t pay off even with the introduction of Henry and Messi, and Olivera could have killed the game off on a breakaway but failed to convert. With 10’ to go Barca equalized but couldn’t find the winner. Betis away is a tricky fixture and a point keeps the double digit lead over Real Madrid. I’m not too worried about Lyon, which is probably a bad thing. Barca will score at least a goal in France and dismantle them at the Nou Camp.

Sunday was the Manchester United destruction of Derby County. Giggs was in amazing form and his flick to Ronaldo should have resulted in a goal instead of an offside decision. Welbeck’s goal was awesome. I hope he is able to deliver consistently and not just be remembered for his wonder goals.

After that, we watched the Juventus/Sampdoria game. I will try to keep this short. Juventus was unfortunate to only get a point. After Samp’s early goal, they were totally dominant, hit the woodwork several times, and couldn’t get the vital touch. Even though Amauri scored the equalizer, he must go. His whole job is to poach and get across defenders and he could have had a hat trick had he done his job. The only other thought of the game is Juve’s lack of shape, in particular width. At least half a dozen crosses went to the back post with no one home. AAARRRGH!!

Yesterday I watched the Arsenal/Cardiff game. I’m not a huge Arsenal fan and wanted to see the upset. No dice. If Cardiff’s goalie had not stood on his head for the first 15 minutes, the score could have really gotten out of hand.
Couple of thoughts on Arsenal:
--Song and Denilson give up possession too easily and that will cost them against better opposition.
--I hate Bendtner.
--What a return for Eduardo. Great composure, linked up play well and got his just reward.

Next week the Champions League returns. Cannot wait.



I’m still working on the TV on the Radio album. I don’t get it. It’s hip hop, pop and something else entirely. I will say this, their songs don’t sound the same.

I picked up Arcade Fire’s Neon Bible album, Moby Last Night and Portishead Third. For Moby and Portishead I’m going back to bands I’ve liked in the past. As for Arcade Fire, I really like the singles, Black Mirror and No Cars Go, and am trying to get more of an overview.

While going through my music, I realized I never got into Weezer and I don’t know why. They rock and they have a good degree of snarkiness. Oh well. I think I’m going to create a Weezer playlist and just have that run on a constant loop wherever I go. Wow.



I’m playing through Shield Season 2. The show continues to deliver. Great story lines and character development. I’m a big fan of Dutch and Wyms. I really like their dynamic and motivations. Great show and am looking forward to more.



I’m going to end this post with my break up notice with House. I’m done. This show has descending into formulaic drivel. I would do so many different things, but they are not going to. I think they should pull the plug and move on but they won’t. It was a good run. The first two seasons and the start of season 4 were amazing, but you can’t keep doing the same thing in season 5. All good things must come to an end.



Ta Ta.

2 comments:

Sam said...

In regard to Weezer, they have some great music. I love going back and listening to their blue album (from 1994) - it rocks. Their albums make for great road trip trip music. I don't know why, but it seems to make the trip go faster.

JD said...

Okay, I have decided, based on the sheer volume of discussion in the taproom about soccer, that it would be beneficial for me to know something--anything--about it--Austin, let me know a couple days in advance the next time you plan on setting up at Claddagh to watch a game and if you'll have a pupil, then I would be curious to see what it's like watching a game with someone who knows something about it. You will be the ambassador for the sport. What do you say?