Tuesday, March 17, 2009

justin.tv and champions league recap

Due to my busy schedule I was unable to post last week. I’m sure you were waiting with bated breath for my next entry.

Speaking of which, I have subscribed to this blog on my facebook page. With the changes that have been made, new entries from anyone who posts on the blog come across as “my” note. So when JD celebrates his completion of the World Beer tour, I get a facebook comment from my mom worrying about my drinking. How do I fix this?


Moving on . . .

Thanks to justin.tv I was able to catch Barca’s progress in the Copy Del Rey. I was following the match cast on soccernet.com and decided to watch the second half on line if possible. The screen opened up just in time to see Pinto save a PK from Mallorca. From there the game totally changed momentum and Barca equalized with a goal from Messi. On to the final v Bilbao.

I know justin.tv is illegal. But I don’t have the money or time to pony up for the typical cable package, so if there is something out there for free I’ll do that instead. Usually the quality isn’t that great and the feed drops out from time to time so really what harm is it doing? I know there are even better options on the interweb, I just haven’t found them yet. Trust me, I’m bringing enough business to Claddagh’s and in effect FSC and Setanta to make sure everything works out.



The Champions League draw is Friday and the permutations are incredible. All English quarters? Utd v Barca? Will two of the lesser teams meet to insure one of them is in the semis?

Looking back at the round of 16, I will have to say that I was really surprised about the Manchester United result. I put too much stock in the Special One and he didn’t deliver. As for Barcelona, when they are on, they are simply unstoppable. But what happens when they get shut down? The United semi last year is the template for defeat. Organized, determined teams can hold out and if they hold out, Barca will give up a goal or two. Especially this year as the defense has been shaky at best, which in turn has exposed Valdez. Juventus simply didn’t deserve to advance. A horrible first leg condemned them to defeat. They did make it 1-1 on aggregate but after that never really tested or made Chelsea nervous. Once Chelsea scored, then the tie was over. But Juve’s motto must be “gain experience”. The young core must learn how to win and maybe it will pay off with a scudetto next year and a Champions League title in the next 3-5 years. Final thought, watch out for Villareal. If they get a favorable draw, they could sneak into the final.



I have seen the Watchmen but am still processing it. I hope to talk about a couple of movies next week. How’s that for a tease?


Finally, if you like soccer, and especially Spanish soccer, check out the Revista de la Liga Extra podcast. Produced by Sky Sports, it has great analysis, discussion and projects of the La Liga.


Ta Ta.

1 comment:

Sam said...

Your facebook is set to import all posts from this blog. I would turn that option off and when you post here just copy and and paste the text into a new note in Facebook. Otherwise, you get everyone's posts.

As for justin.tv, it is the most useful website on the internet. i am thinking about discussing this fuller next week.

It allowed me to watch the Champions League last week. However, I had to head to church so I missed the PKs of the Arsenal game. Fortunately http://footytube.com/ came through for me.