Monday, March 2, 2009

An Enlightening Trip to the Movies

Thanks to Austin’s recommendation, I have been slowly creeping through Mad Men (as my schedule does not allow for much extra television watching). If you are unaware, the show follows members of a Madison Avenue advertising agency in the 1960’s. In a few episodes, the main character, Don Draper, interacts with what I would call “proto-hippies”. In their discussions, they go back and forth between what these advertising agents are actually accomplishing—manipulation or directing the customers to the best of what they already desire. For example, the company represents Lucky Strike cigarettes. They take the approach that everyone wants to smoke anyway, so just get them to agree that Lucky Strikes is the best brand and everyone goes home a winner. Of course, this influencing takes place by leaving out certain details such as the deadly health impact of these and other cigarettes stemming from the ingredients of the cigarette.

All of this is to say, media influence has been on my mind lately so I perhaps I was extra sensitive to an encounter at the movie theatres, but I don’t think so. Before the movie began, while I am used to being bombarded with commercials and trailers, I was not prepared for the video I saw. I can think of no description other than “propaganda.” It was the following music video to a song by Kid Rock called “Warrior”.



I found this video both subtle and not so subtle at the same time. On the one hand you have two red neck icons – Kid Rock and Dale Earnhardt Jr. – supporting the National Guard. Though I am non-violent in principles, I do not begrudge those who want to serve their country in the Armed Forces. However, this is propaganda of the worst sort – glorifying the war and acting as though race relations are being impacted for the better through our armed presence in places such as Iraq. It is a lie that recruiters have used since the beginning – “Want to be a hero? Want to see some action? Want to serve your country? Then join the ______________ (fill in your branch of the armed forces).”

Am I un-American? Perhaps. But if “un-American” means thinking critically about the sort of propaganda that is being served up to this country, then sign me up for the fight against McCarthyism.

2 comments:

Austin Long said...

glad you liked mad men.

i had an interesting talk with nugent about the miliary. larry's interest in the army has caused me to start thinking about how to respond to his thoughts if this isn't just a phase.

we'll have to talk it about some time.

by the way, i watched the scooter video. classic.

JD said...

Yep, propaganda, that's exactly what I thought the first time I saw one of those, though it was the 3 Doors Down video I saw first, but basically the same thing.

p.s. I had to Google the word Kryptonite because I couldn't remember the band's name and I was pretty sure their big hit had to do with Superman or Kryptonite. At least credit the Guard with stepping up the celebrity profile on their endorsers.