Tuesday, November 20, 2007

more disappointments

Tomorrow the final qualifiers will be determined for Euro 2008. I have vented my spleen many a time on Sven and can I say I was wrong? He wasn’t the worst England manager. Frustrating, yes. Disappointing, sort of. Failure, no. The worst England manager is “Macca.” They were given an amazing gift by Israel and I just hope that they don't blow it against Croatia, althought it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if they lost. I will spare you my rantings and just say I’m glad I’m not English. Between the manager and the performances of the players, it’s just pathetic. But hey American citizen, the Americans are terrible, especially at 2006 World Cup. Peformances, horrible. Management, every thing that could go wrong, did. But America sucks. Let’s be fair. Despite what the FIFA rankings say, the USA is not a world futbol power. The 2002 World Cup was a pleasant surprise, a taste of what is to come. Meanwhile the English stumble, I would say drunkenly, but that’s a harsh generalization, from failure to disappointment back to failure, while bumping into a moments of success only to be denied on penalties. Sorry I’ll just stop now.

Keeping on the soccer theme, I checked out a movie from the library with a bunch of Real Madrid players on the cover. I was like, cool, a Real Madrid highlight video. Let me just say, read the cover before checking out any movie. Turns out it was a Madridilista propaganda piece. Shows how Real reaches out and unites the whole world, blah, blah, blah. The acting was positively dreadful and there was very little in the way of highlights. I immediately went to youtube to cleanse my palate with some decent highlights.

I had another horrible experience, this time with music. I checked out a recent Black Keys release, “Magic Poison.” I’ve heard some previous albums and have a couple of singles on my iPod, but this CD was really bad. I can find at least one or two songs on almost CD, but no go. I’m not saying I could do better, but I know enough not to try. Wow.

One more negative comment and then I’ll move on. OSU/UM last weekend was one of the most pathetic football games I’ve ever seen. UM was only able to move forward on OSU pass interference penalties. Hey O co-ordinater for UM, YOU CAN’T RUN THE BALL!!! How about some quick passes. Oh that’s right, your receivers can’t catch the ball. Just horrible. I’m sure that me and a couple of friends could have done better. Seriously. And thank God that Carr is gone. Hopefully, UM will take this opportunity to join the 21st century and play attacking football that utilizes the speed of the skill players(read SEC).

Finally, I was watching the CBS Morning Show while getting ready for work. Julie Chen and her ever present smile let me know that the People Magazine’s “Sexiest Man of the Year” was about to be announced. Some editor lady tells the audience that Matt Damon is the winner, and Julie’s next words are, “Congratulations to Matt Damon on this honor.” Don’t want to burst your bubble there Julie, but he didn’t exactly earn it. He won the genetic lottery and honed his latent talent to become a very successful actor, and therefore put himself to win a subjective, superficial and meaningless award. He didn’t win work hard to win something meaningful like Big Brother. Of course I’m sure Matt is going to put the cover next to the Oscar he won for Good Will Hunting. How fake is Julie Chen anyway?

Moving on to something a little more positive, Reno 911: Season 4. Not the most edifying thing ever, but it is funny. The funniest episode was when Hooters’ rip off “Hotties” was the Reno PD corporate sponsor. You have to see it to believe it. But the best parts are the community adverts. HILARIOUS!! Visit the Reno 911 page at comedycentral.com. (Not suitable for work in some cases.)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

How do I enter the genetic lottery?

Bristol Crowne said...

They didn't ask me if I thought he was the Sexiest Man Alive...personally, I like my men to look like men, not little boys.

BigD said...

The genetic lottery is, like, totally rigged.