Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Review of Iron Man.





I took my son to see Iron Man this week. What a treat! Robert Downey Jr. plays a convincing Tony Stark set in the modern era of Islamic terrorists. Of course, there is nothing believable about Iron Man's suit, but it is straight out of the comic book, very accurate. Gwyneth Paltrow is convincing and charming as Pepper Potts. Jeff Bridges is the creepy corporate bad guy and Terrence Howard plays the military liason to Stark Industries.

There are things that do not work in the movie. The fight scene with Jeff Bridges was schtick. It reminded me a lot of some of the more boring parts of Transformers. The fact that Terrence Howard's character was a military liason to a corporation AND calling shots in command center is a bit of a stretch (it would never happen).

I loved how SHIELD was introduced and also how (oops, I can't give away the ending.) Yeah, there is a surprise ending after the credits that made the whole movie for me. I'll leave it at that.

There are comical moments where Robert Downey Jr. is dialoguing with his robotic assistant that definitely lighten the mood and appeal to the kids in the audience.

This was the first of many Marvel Studios productions. All the previous Marvel Movies have been made by other Hollywood studios. Now Marvel owns the rights to their movies and have a massive budget to pay for their production.

John Favreau (who also made MADE, and SWINGERS) directed. I think his experience with quirky dialogue, character development, and scene production made a difference in this movie compared to the other high-octane Marvel Thrill rides.

Given that Iron Man had the second biggest opening of a non-sequel (ever) it looks like Marvel will be producing a lot more movies.

I might also add that this was (to me) the best of the Marvel movies. The trailer for the Hulk did not disappoint either.

6 comments:

BigD said...

Transformers had boring parts?

Brandon Caroland said...

Umm. The point is that what was done in Iron Man (as far as the fight scene goes) had already been done somewhat familiarly in Transformers, only Transformers was better. That would be the difference between Bruckheimer's action sequences and Favreau's. Bruckheimer is the action guy. The dialog in Transformers sucked. Favreau's dialog was better.Favreau is a better dialog guy.

BigD said...

You thought the dialogue in Transformers sucked? Wow. Goes to show that there's no accounting for taste. I thought the dialogue between Sam and his parents (and the dialogue between his parents) was hysterical. Come on... "Sam's happy time." Priceless.

Brandon Caroland said...

I don't want to hurt your feelings if this is your favorite movie ever (see my last posts comments about Ben and the X files). However, that particular scene is the exact kind of campy dialog I am talking about. It's like Nachos Supreme, dripping with extra cheese.

BigD said...

Not my favorite movie ever, and you're certainly not hurting my feelings. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I guess what you found campy and cheesy I found witty and funny. Like I said, there's no accounting for taste.

Austin Long said...

the iron man/batman video was HILARIOUS. i am the night life!! how great is that?