Monday, May 19, 2008

Ripping the Past

As I work towards packing my things for the big move to Kentucky, I have tried to consolidate my technology. One such effort was getting rid of my hundreds of CDs that I kept in 2 huge books and wherever else I had room. In my high school and college days, I bought WAY too many CDs. And to be honest, way too many crappy CDs. At the time I couldn’t pass them up. They were only $10 or at the most $13. I figured they were a good investment. I was wrong.

Regardless, I kept the CDs all these years and never tried to sell them because I figured no one would want them. And besides, you never know when Ska music would come back into vogue. Well, time has taught me that these CDs have not stood the test of time and these groups will never be heard from again. Regardless, I began the process of ripping my CDs so that I could store them in some corner in the basement. However, I decided not to rip all of the hundreds of CDs for 2 reasons. First, I don’t even really like all the CDs I have any more. Secondly, I would be embarrassed if someone opened up my iTunes and saw what was in my library. So, I chose about 100 of the CDs and went to work. It was kind of fun listening to some of these songs from my formative years.

Two CD’s in particular brought back fond memories. The soundtrack from the movie “The Crow” is great. It has always been one of my favorite movies not just for the content but because of the bizarre circumstances surrounding the death of the lead Brandon Lee while on set of the movie. The songs that went with movie are great, especially if you like rock, metal, and 90’s alternative music. Here is a run down of some of the real “Monsters of Rock”:
The Cure, Machines of Loving Grace, Stone Temple Pilots, Nine Inch Nails, Rage Against the Machine, Rollins Band, Helmet, Pantera. Seriously, can you get any better than that?

The other CD was by “Love Spit Love.” You can read the background of the group on wikipedia. Basically some of the guys from the Psychedelic Furs started the group. It was a decent CD, but mostly I used to listen to it while studying for Bible Bowl. Not sure why, it just was in the player and seemed to soothe my mind.

Plenty more could be said about my old CDs from the likes of The Smashing Pumpkins, Afghan Whigs, Poor Old Lu, Plankeye, Cracker, INXS, and others. The point is, I have 1000 songs on shuffle and am loving every second.

1 comment:

Austin Long said...

good times. i can't believe i didn't somehow snag both of those from you.

it's amazing how you go to the bargain bins and the cd's you thought you couldn't live without are a buck apiece and you don't even want them.

i got rid of a large portion of my collection two years ago but still have several crates left. i haven't gotten rid of the other cds because even though they are on my itunes, i'm afraid my computer will crash or something and they'll be gone forever. or until i go on limewire.