Tuesday, May 20, 2008

technology issues, craig's list and House season finale

I have been having a hard time on the technology front lately. The monitor on my computer at work (I’m told it is not a laptop but rather a “desktop replacement”) has gone out creating a situation in which I have to plug in another monitor to function. Not horrible but just annoying. The IT boy is supposed to sort me out soon.

At home, the DVD player has died. We have been borrowing Jeremy’s for the time being because we are too lazy and cheap to go out and buy one.

Finally, my ipod mini died. The battery was slowly going but I had managed to get around that. The proverbial straw was the hold button. I searched for remedies and none of them worked. Surprisingly, hitting the ipod against your hand didn’t pan out. I was shocked. I tried calling Apple support and while the interactive recording was amazingly helpful and a touch arrogant, it hung up on me at the crucial moment. So forget that.

Which brings me to my first craig’s list experience. I knew of its existence and had played around with it a couple of times. But now I was focused. I searched ipod and to my astonishment, an ipod nano was the first result and recently posted. I called the guy and he told me to come over. Now I understand craig’s list altruistic nature, but I was still leery, to the point that I wanted to bring a witness, who would be bringing a small firearm. I understand how things are supposed to go, but I also now that many black comedies have started with the seemingly simple premise of a routine exchange. Everything turned out fine and, after reinstalling itunes all afternoon, I know have a functioning used ipod nano. Sweet. Wonder how long this will last.

Moving on, I won’t bore you (and by you I mean Brandon) with a recap of European soccer, but instead will just say how great House was last night. Forget the medical mystery part of the show. It just doesn’t matter. The inner conflict of House and its ripple effects is by far the most compelling part of the show. Does he really want to live without pain? Does he really want to change? On another note, would the writers/producers please do something with 13? Either get on with it or just get rid of her. She just hides in the background and alternates between brooding and fear and looking she is holding back the answer to world’s great mysteries. Ugh. Where will the show go from here? Next season will be key. I could see the show petering out next season or really exploring the characters in a way that could reinvigorate the show and allow it to push for another 2 to 3 seasons.

That’s all I’ve got. Tomorrow United go for the double. C’mon you Reds.

1 comment:

Ryan said...

I was scared after the soap opera episode that House "jumped the shark". Horrid horrid episode.

I loved the two episode series finale though. Just as you say, it wasn't about the medical mystery but the internal conflicts in House.