Saturday, March 15, 2008

House MD Not in My House

I refuse to watch House, M.D. I have never seen a complete episode, nor do I intend to. Previews are ubiquitous enough to draw some conclusions. Since the show came on, I've felt that a great comic genius of the British actor Hugh Laurie is being wasted on a portrayal of a sarcastic eccentric American doctor.

Waste of talent, if you ask me.

Laurie, for me, is part of the great line of British comedy actors. I spent the whole week recently watching over old British comedy series. From John Cleese' Fawlty Towers to Rowan Atkinson's Blackadder to sketch-comedy A Bit of Fry and Laurie.

I remember Laurie playing a dim-witted Prince George on Blackadder along side with Atkinson, who is known worldwide as Mr. Bean. Atkinson's comic genius too stretches far beyond the lone Mr. Bean. Here, for example, Atkinson and Laurie are part of Shakespeare sketch that will ring many funny bells for those who had dealt with a line of editors looking over your work.



And for dessert, Atkinson shines in Pink Tights and Plenty of Props and as Barry Manilow.

4 comments:

Bristol Crowne said...

As funny as people think the show is, the character of House will, in the end, be the demise of his own show. He is funny because he's cynical and sarcastic and if his character was to grow as a person the show just wouldn't be as funny. Therefore they keep him as a stagnant character. No matter what happens, he doesn't learn a lesson, he just keeps going as he is. Nor can they afford to ever let him be wrong in a diagnosis since this is his only redeeming quality and his reason to continue acting the way he does.
I can't stand the show because all the other characters care and learn and live...and then there's House. And apparently they don't learn very much because they always ask him if he cares or why he doesn't care and it's just a set up so he can say something mean. In real life you would learn not to ask and to avoid that person like the plague. Except for his medical genius, House is a pretty useless character.
Here's a summery of every show since the pilot.

House: snarky comment
other docter: don't you care?
House: snarky comment
other doctor: I walked my dog the other day.
House: (epiphany) he's got syphilis!...snarky comment.
THE END.

Aleks said...

That would explain why the show became a subject of several sketches of SNL...

Brandon Caroland said...

bristol (ha ha) I think the only flaw in your assessment of the House Show (which I do not watch either) is the assumption that people who make snarky comments grow out of that. I have yet to do so. The only thing that seems to be happening with time is that the comments have become more sophisticated and choice about topics and people the comments are made. They aren't fewer, just different. Of course, any person guilty of making snarky comments would say they have grown but the comments are always there.

Bristol Crowne said...

Oh, I used to be the queen of snarky but then I realized that the snarkyness came out of a need to keep people at arms lenght. So I grew up.
But sometimes I wish I could be as snarky as I used to. Now I'm only a little snarky.