Friday, December 28, 2007

Adventures in Commuting and Insights into the Spiritual Life of One Particular Commuter

I am, for the time being, a commuter. I have been for the past year and a half. Not so much because I really really like commuting. Not even so much because I really really like my job because I don't. And certainly not because I like commuting 2 hours every day to the 3rd most crime riddled city in America. I commute because they were the only ones willing to pay me.

So considering I've been doing it for a year I guess I should count myself blessed that I have not experienced a lot in the way of commuting related problems such as...oh, I don't know...black ice.

Oh wait, yeah I just did that yesterday!

Yesterday on my way to work at 8 in the morning I decided to get off the highway half way and get myself a coffee and, well heck, donuts go so great with coffee anyway. So there I am headed onto the exit ramp to my unoffical regular Dunkin Donuts stop.

The roads had not been bad, they were a little wet but I didn't see any cars in the ditch, everyone was going just as fast as they normally do and it wasn't all that cold out. So when I hit my breaks on the exit ramp I didn't expect to start sliding around.

Nor did I expect to slide all the way off the road, up a hill, back down a hill, and find myself stopped facing the forementioned exit ramp. And since my car was still running and I was already poised to resume my trip. I just got right back on and took myself to the forementioned Dunkin Donuts (although I no longer needed to cofee since I was high on adrenaline).

I parked and checked my car out expecting quite a bit more damage than I found. A little dent from hitting one of those refelector stick thingys, A little scrap from who knows what, a lot of grass evenly spread over my car, one edge of the front fender is no longer attached correctly. But I have to say that I believe I was blessed by God to not have anything worse happen.

I called my husband when I got back on the highway to let him know that we should probably get the car checked out and I found that my turn signals are not currently working (we haven't figured that one out just yet). So he came to Flint in the afternoon to take exchange cars with me so he could take a look at it. Considering we have to drive to Illinois tomorrow night and his car is not the favorite to take on long trips, I really hope everything is fine.

Looking back on the event, I'm really dissapointed with my internal monologue. I was always hoping I was the type of person to see disaster and turn to my Lord and Saviour and offer my soul up to His mercy, instead I found mtho have to call a tow truck, I can't afford a new car, and how and I going to tell my husband I just ruined a car!"

I figure this is because I don't always think to pray about little matters, therefore why would I pray about the big ones? However, I am happy to inform you that I neither screamed nor swore. I'm sure I was shocked mute but still...

So, I suppose this kind of thing happens to everyone once in a while, I really hope this is the first and last time for me. After the initial shock wears off, during which I function on auto pilot while my brain shuts down and reboots, I have a tendency to shake and giggle and cry all at the same time. It makes for rather humorous phone conversations with your husband: "Are you alright?"

"Yeah (giggle giggle sob)".

"Are you sure? Do you want to come home?"

"I'm ok (sob shake) I'll be fine in a little bit (giggle sob shake sob)"

No comments: