Tuesday, December 18, 2007

how do i get on TV?

I’ve been in and out of the Amazing Race this season. This is a show that Erin and I can watch together, bonding through the 60’ of drama and idiotic commercials. We have a little more interest in this season than others, because we actually applied for this one. Made a quick tape, filled out a survey and turned in all the paperwork. And can I just say that the survey is very unnerving. It may have been taken right from some sort of couple therapy book. Questions like “when did your partner most disappoint you?” (look up application)

Anyway, we didn’t even make the next round of interviews. Then I see the season premier and I realize why. We don’t have a hook. Look at current season’s contestants.




A Goth couple, all decked out in pink and black
A lesbian couple, who also happen to be ordained ministers
A couple who had only been dating for a couple of weeks
A couple ready to take their relationship to the next level (ie marriage)
A grandpa and his grandson
Overachieving brother and sister

What did we have to offer? Normalcy. A marriage going on 7 years in good shape, a child, a house. Nothing too fancy. Shouldn’t that have been our hook? Middle America? I suppose we could have talked up the religion angle but without sexual deviancy to go with it, that chance would have lacked punch.

So my new idea is to research a fatal but active disease and use the angle, “Hey I’m dying from this weird disease, I’ve only got a couple of months, and my wife and I are big fans of the show and want to share our final moments together running around the world.” The Make A Wish route. Seriously, who wouldn’t be for that? Every week has the added tension of our elimination, which would mean not only is our race over but that glimmer of hope before my impending death is gone too. Tears, people, tears.

So I’ve got to his webmd and figure something out before next season. I’d say I’d keep you updated but obviously it’s a secret.

At the library last week I picked up “Rolling Stones Rock n Roll Circus.” I had not heard of some of the bands on the agenda, but picked up to watch the Who and the Stones. The show opens with a bizarre entrance of famous musicians and circus performances. Really weird.

The first act up is Jethro Tull, and the only thing I knew about them was that the main guy was a really good flute player (thanks to listening to Bob and Tom). Absolutely amazing. They played “A Song for Jeffery”, and I strongly suggest you look it up on youtube. I plan to search for more songs and see if they are something I can get into.

Next up is the Who, and they blow the roof of the place. I mean it is only a big top after all. How Peter Townsend can play guitar like that, I’ll never know. And Keith Moon on drums. The band is out of control. Great performance of “A Quick One. . .”, a song broken into 6 different parts. Bizarre.

They are followed by Taj Mahal. Great blues sound, and I looked them up and the main guitar player is Jesse Ed Davis, a full blooded Native American, who played with all the greats and died prematurely in his early 40’s.

After Taj Mahal is the definition of the supergroup. The Faces had a some big names and let’s not forget Velvet Revolver, but imagine John Lennon, Eric Clapton Keith Richards and Mitch Mitchell together. They were for one glorious moment as Dirty Mac. See wikipedia entry below.




The Dirty Mac were an English supergroup consisting of John Lennon, Eric Clapton, Keith Richards and Mitch Mitchell that Lennon put together for The Rolling Stones' ill-fated TV special entitled The Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus. Recorded on 11 December 1968, this was the first time that Lennon, who was still with The Beatles, had performed in public without the other Beatles after the Beatles were created. The Dirty Mac recorded a rendition of the Lennon-penned Beatles track "Yer Blues" and then went on to back up Yoko Ono and violinist Ivry Gitlis on a track called "Whole Lotta Yoko" (which was essentially an extended blues jam).









Finally the Rolling Stones came on, and performed a full range of music, from slow and contemplative to rockin out. I looked up the notes for the show and the Stones came on stage at 5am in the morning after 17 hours of performance and set up. Their set culminated with a truly mezmarizing performance of “Sympathy for the Devil”. I know the Stones are has beens and should hang everything up, but what I would have given to see them in their prime.

3 comments:

Sam said...

As another point of contact, the goth chick is the daughter of a couple at mom and dad's church in AL. The parents are both proud and mortified.

Unknown said...

Hey,the goth couple would be glad to talk to her to give you pointers and her dad did their training so he could give you some pointers too.
Margaret

shannoncaroland said...

Guy fakes illness to go on Amazing Race... sounds like a great movie.