Friday, December 14, 2007

Free Tids and Bits...

Yes! It's everybody's favorite bit. Now it's time for the part of the show were Crystal talks about random stuff in no particular order.

First up, let me just say that the spectacular renovation on my kitchen just recently completed by my wonderful husband and I will be available on my personal blog very shortly with before and after pictures in 3-D! Nope, just regular old two dimensional pics, just be happy they're in color.

I've been on "vacation" for the last 8 days. I say "vacation" because that's how I'm getting paid but I wouldn't say it's been an actual vacation in that renovating a kitchen really doesn't send you back to work with that refreshed feeling that I believe real vacations are supposed to. However, I'm hoping that counting down the 4 days of work I have before my Christmas Holiday will help me get through.

Then, should all go according to my devious plan, Ben will get a job, we'll sell the house, and I can turn in my resignation with a double deuce flourish and not have to go back there ever again.

Anyway, on to other tids (since that was an overlong bit) I took a "vacation" to see 'I am Legend' tonight (not to be confused with "Legend", the only Tom Cruise movie worth seeing) I won't give you any spoilers because typing the entire plot of a movie just doesn't sound like a good time right now. Needless to say, in my own professional opinion, it made me happy, it made me sad, it was good, then it wasn't so good. I went away feeling unfulfilled. There was an awful lot of subplots in the movie that could have been expanded but they chose not to. So many times I would get excited about something only to find it glossed over or completely forgotten later on. It actually felt like a short movie because the real depth was never probed. You spend the whole movie waiting expectantly for the climax only to find the credits.

Golden Nibblets of Knowledge. Advertisers should really consider making a lot of different commercials for the same product instead of flooding the airwaves with the same freakin' commercial over and over again. Is there anything more annoying at Christmas than terrible advertising (hmm, made for tv christmas movies?) I encourage all advertisers to consider taking their boring or annoying commercials to the next level...CLAYMATION!

My favorite, by far, of all the 'mations out there, nothing makes insipid advertising as almost palatable as the age old art of claymation. Many advertisers seem to be using it this holiday season. I say to you, what can be more appealing than Santa's belly that shakes and jiggles like a bowl full of Claymation! Jelly? I think not. And so many other commercial characters out their are somehow less abrasive and more adorable.

A Fishing Metaphor Gone Wrong. We'll since Ben's graduation was Saturday, we've become more and more intent on finding him a job. He's had lots of nibbles on the bait but so far, no takers. Which is almost a little offensive since, in this metaphor, Ben himself is the bait. Employers keep emailing and their first questions in "what's your GPA?" and when he tells them, we never hear from them again. It's like giving the bait a nudge and deciding it's not to your taste. When in fact, Ben is quite good bait, he's a hard worker, he knows what he's doing, he's a team player, he's honest and ethical. They really don't know what they're missing, all they need is one taste of that tasty Ben and they'd be hooked. Right now we are currently waiting (with fingers crossed) to hear back from three (yes, THREE) different companies that have all "nudged the bait" with the age old question. Now, we'll see if any are willing to open up and swallow.

Sorry I went a little buck wild on the labels.

3 comments:

Austin Long said...

i've never heard of legend. now while i'm not the biggest fan of tom cruise, what about vanilla sky, collateral and magnolia.

too bad about i am legend. what's a good movie that will smith has been in?

Commish said...

"tasty Ben". Having a hard time letting that one go.

Tom's favorite Will Smith movie is "Ali". I thought the performance was Oscar-esque.

BigD said...

From this moment forward, I will only refer to Ben as "Tasty Ben."

I have spoken. Er, typed. Whatever.