Sunday, December 23, 2007

The Return of KITT Sans the Hoff

Well here we go on the 'everything old is new again' train. NBC has decided to resurrect the Knight Rider series. I don't know when or how solid it is but here's the reference.

Wow, I mean wow. They're really scraping to get this one. Was that series really that successful? I mean, don't get me wrong, I loved it as a kid. It was the coolest thing around. But I was 10. Could I really judge? I found it totally believable that a car could be built to withstand a missile strike, drive 200+ mph, and be nearly waterproof. I mean look at the features on this baby. In fact I was sure that there was a car out there who really talked and spouted sarcasm and wit from every one of his 1 billion dash board buttons and hypnotizing lights.

And how could they choose a Ford? Are you serious? I know my audience is not particularly car savvy here but you've got to do better than a Mustang. If you're so out of material that you have to trot out the Knight again at least be true to your roots. Make it a throw back worthy of the low standards of acting/writing/directing/camera work/plot lines of yesteryear (meaning 1982-1986). Even though the Pontiac Trans-Am line ended in 2002 you could at least stay with the Pointiac line. Maybe a Solstice, or a GTO, or hey I know an Aztek. No wait all those are butt ugly. How about a Vibe, oooh thats....not it either. OK so maybe not a Pontiac, let's look to the GM brand in general. My pick: the Aveo. And if not that then one of these.

Alright so there aren't any GM cars that would do it in this day in age (cars that go 200 mph and get 5 mpg aren't really hot sellers). The Corvette is the last bastion of excess put out by GM. But alas would not do for KITT. But neither will a Mustang. Slim pickings in the 'American' sports car genre.

What they should really go for is the new all electric Tesla. It's lean (very sporty), mean (0-60 in under 4 seconds (which is really fast, your Taurus for instance (Ben) 12+ seconds with your foot through the floor (yes, Dan, I just upped your multi-parenthesis record, muhaha))), but most of all green. Very PC for NBC.

Alright I'm running on empty battery wise and you're running out of interest in this post. So we'll say this:

Good luck Ultra-Cheesy-Hoff-Replacement-Guy (or Girl) and try not to fall asleep at the wheel.......again, and again, and again; KITT can only drive so much before the system crashes. Especially if it's based on Windows.

3 comments:

BigD said...

Thank you for that multi-parenthetical monstrosity.

Anonymous said...

Your welcome.

Bunce

mindbender said...

Dude, this show has "BAD IDEA" written all over it in 10ft tall neon flashing lights, backlit by fireworks and Michael Bay style explosions.

What are they thinking...