Tuesday, January 29, 2008

recent media intake

Where do I start? Obviously I must comment on Cloverfield. I admit that the trailer did intrigue me, and if the start time hadn’t been past my bedtime when the group went, I probably would have gone. Even after the reviews/spoilers, I was like OK, DVD. But then I saw the movie poster with that absolutely stupid looking quasi-baby dinosaur alien thing, and I was done. That’s the threat to human existence? Please Cloverfield people, clarify exactly what that is.

Other than that, I am in the middle of several shows.

Rescue Me, Season One. I had heard a lot of good buzz and I’m a huge Denis Leary fan, so I was looking forward to this one. INTENSE. Taking the anti-hero to a whole other level. I know I really shouldn’t like “Tommy”, but I can’t help it. Moments of clarity followed by excessive binges of sex and drinking and cruelty. The end of season was phenomenal and I can’t wait for more.

4400, Season Three. I started that Sunday night. Very interesting season premiere that sets up the future of the show. One thing that the show constantly hits is that no one, 4400 or not, is what they seem. I can’t wait for Jordan to come back. I felt the interaction between Isabel and Sean was a little forced and contrived, but based on other comments, it will be crucial to latter story lines. I’m also waiting for Richard to step forward, show his power, do something. And finally I know the show is called 4400 but how many of them are actually left? It seems that at least one dies a show now, plus the infection killed at least 28 of them. They could do a BSG rip off and have the number count down.

Studio 60, halfway through Season One. The tension between Matt and Harriet is great, I do enjoy that part of the show. The Jordan/Danny romance is sort of inserted into the show. There are a several story lines going on at the same time and they have to throw this in there. I could see that being a thread later, but maybe they knew they were getting cancelled and wanted to get in there. One thing that I can’t decide if I like is the treatment of Jack and Jordan. These are major leaders, with power and connections and pull and they are put in the most ridiculous situations. Don’t they have minions to do such things? Maybe it is showing their humanity and putting them in touch with humanity or something, but seeing Jordan shoving a sandwich in her mouth while having lunch on set or seeing Jack sober up the daughter of an important deal maker seems weird somehow. Oh well, in a couple of weeks, it won’t matter. The show has these moments of absolute brilliance (inserting the fragility of the Romanian currency into a scene as an example) and I wonder how a person/people can come up with it. I guess that’s what they get paid to do.

Finally, my guilty pleasure of the weekend was Reno 911: Miami. Completely inappropriate, but funny. Reminded me of the Police Academy movies at certain points. The group from Reno 911 is so great. If I could ever find the episodes of The State, I would be willing to pay a pretty penny for them. Maybe that’s what I’ll do today at work. It’s good to have goals.

One final note, I have a Facebook account. I set it up months ago and didn’t do anything with it. I still haven’t done much because a) time, b) ignorance, and c) I really do have more important things to do. But if you have time, write on my wall or send me a fun test.

Ta Ta for now.

4 comments:

mindbender said...

The poster you refer to is something Dan made up to be funny. It's actually a "Water Horse" poster, modified to say "Cloverfield" on it (by Dan).

Commish said...

And I find it absolutely HILARIOUS that you thought it was the real thing. Kudos to Dan on his Photoshopping skills, I guess, but wow, the fact that you bought it is even funnier than the poster itself.

Maybe it's only funny because you didn't see the movie... I don't know. Nice job, Dan!!

Austin Long said...

you can't trust the interweb? that very thought undoes the fabric of my existence.

that is funny that i thought it was the real alien. i was like how can that thing be causing this much hype. oh well.

i guess i need to see everything that is out, so i can commentate intelligently.

i'll put in my 2 weeks today and get on that.

BigD said...

It's terrifying! Flippers of death!