Tuesday, January 22, 2008

sleep tight

I hate my mind. I won’t go into all of the reasons, I’ll just give an example. I was sick last week and wanted to get some sleep, so I fix myself a cocktail of Big Blue, 800 mg of Motrin, and Tylenol PM. I felt great. And by feeling great, I mean I can’t feel anything. So I crawled into bed and peeked out the window and noticed the couple of inches of snow that had fallen. Then I checked the clock and noticed that it was about an hour after Erin should have been home. And my mind began to race. Is she ok? Is she in a ditch? What hasn’t she called? What would happen if she was hurt? What would happen if she was dead? And so on and so on until my buzz was wrecked and I was wide awake again. GRRR.

Once my mind locks onto something, forget about it. Stream of consciousness takes over and hours pass. No sleep and I that that more than anything. If it was up to me, I would sleep all the time. My sleeping reality is so much more interesting than my awake reality. In my dreams, I’ve played with FC Barcelona, been a secret agent, died, slept with beautiful women, had outrageous situations, said all the things I wish I could say while I was awake.

If I don’t get sleep, I get really pissed. A couple of weeks ago, I punched the bathroom wall and put a crap in the dry wall because Larry was whining and wouldn’t go to bed at 2am. I have been tempted to get some sort of prescription, Ambien or something like that, but I start thinking about the expense, the possibility of addiction, and then I’m like, no I can do this. Until 4am the next morning when I still haven’t fallen asleep. I checked webmd about insomnia, and based on their medically factual, peer edited page, I have it. Great. Sweet dreams.

No comments: