Monday, August 11, 2008

Behind the Times

I have always been up on pop culture. I watch shows on MTV and VH1 like “Rock of Love,” Flavor of Love,” “I Love New York,” etc. I listen to new music even though it sucks so badly. I watch “The Soup” and “Best Week Ever.” I am not obsessed, but I like to know what is going on especially when working with youth.

So, like I said, I have always been up on the culture…until recently. When we moved, we gave up cable as a way to cut down on expenses. So, this past week Carrie and I were flipping through the Networks to find something and we landed on the “Teen Choice Awards” on FOX. First of all, I heard Hannah Montana was hosting them. But I say Miley Cyrus. Carrie informed me that they were the same person, but one was a Disney persona.

Then there were all sorts of awards for actors of whom I had never heard. Granted, the only movies I have seen I the theatre for the last 10 years have been the “Lord of the Rings,” “Harry Potter,” and “Star Wars.” And, I haven’t rented a video since 2004 just before Elijah was born. But when these actors came up representing movies I had never heard of, I felt waaaaay out of the loop.

Then they had the questions with “Jonas Brothers.” The girls screamed like they were the Backstreet Boys. I had heard of them, but never seen them and never heard their songs. So I listened to some online. Really? This is what all the gushing is about? Not to sound like an old curmudgeon, but seriously. There is no hope for our youth.

I guess for at least the next few years my pursuit of pop culture will have to take a back seat to real life. Or, I will get my information from my middle schoolers. If that happens I will be dumber to be sure.

No comments: