Monday, August 18, 2008

Social Networking Experiment

It has taken me all this time, but I finally have a Facebook account. I resisted for a long time for many reasons. They are as follows:

First, I associated Facebook with MySpace. MySpace conjures up images of teenie boppers, pedophiles, and terrible HTML coding. It seemed like every MySpace page I go to is bright blue lettering on a fluorescent pink background with kids boasting about their exploits and crappy music making the page take 10 minutes to fully load even with a fast internet connection. That is not my idea of a good time. So, why bother with this new upstart Facebook?

Secondly, I don’t particularly like talking to people, even people with which I have had a previous relationship. So I hear of my peers (30 year old people I respect) saying, “I have to check my Facebook” and I thought, “How lame are you?” Their defense usually consisted of, “It is better than you think. I connected with a guy I knew in college. It is pretty cool.” I thought, “I don’t care about people from the past. If we haven’t kept up until now why bother starting again?”

But, with my recent move to Kentucky, I have become nostalgic and have felt the need to keep connected with my old Youth Group in Tennessee. And sure enough, I have reconnected with some people from college and even high school. I have made the following discoveries:

Despite all evidence to the contrary, Aaron Fritz is still alive.
Tom Flammer has a collection of Football cards worth $1310. ‘Nuff said.
Justin Mayes is not in jail unless they have online access in the penitentiary.

However, I have a few questions:

I am interested in the etiquette involved. If I ignore someone who has asked to be my friend, are they going to commit suicide? I mean really, if I found them annoying in college, why would I want to go down that road in the cyber world? Or do you just have everyone be your friend, even if you can’t remember who they are even though they went to your high school or college?

What’s the deal with being a super friend or top friend or whatever? Do I make that designation or does Facebook using some arbitrary formula?

Does anyone else find it bizarre that the little bit of information you give them connects you with long forgotten people?

Which is better – “write on wall” or “wall to wall”?

So, Facebook is not as lame as I thought. If you have any suggestions to how I can enjoy the experience even more, I am open to hearing them. See you online…friend.

3 comments:

shannoncaroland said...

Here's my suggestion: Get a life, loser!

Commish said...

I have also struggled with the friends issue. People that I never exchanged more then 3 words with in high school, or college, now ask to be designated as friends on Facebook. I feel that to hit the button that says "Confirm Friend", I am in fact lying. I am stating a falsehood.

But I don't want them to hate my guts either, when they get some message from Facebook that says "Tom Flammer wants nothing to do with you". So the requests just pile up, and I just don't answer them either way.

As for the sports card thing, Deaton started me on it. Now it's this super-stoopid addiction that I can't quit. I must amass the entire collection of Detroit Lions, even though they are fictitious sports card and hold absolutely no real-world value. As does, apparently, my time.

Bristol Crowne said...

Facebook does not tell people when you choose to ignore them. Thus, it is not telling you when someone ignores you.
I "friend" people just so I can keep up with what's going on in their lives whether or not I actually ever talk to them is beside the point.