Saturday, February 23, 2008

A message in an iPod

An American Idol contestant Josiah Leming performed last week a song called "Grace Kelly,” prompting notorious Simon Cowell to utter words one rarely hears from the mouth of the blunt Brit.

"I think out of all the auditions, that this was the one that I'm gonna remember."

The song by the Lebanese-born British singer Mika seems appropriate for the American Idol, a contest based on popularity.

It carries a message.

Mika's messages and style ranges make his music so appealing. As a relative unknown, Mika stormed onto the world music stage at the end of 2006. He has developed a significant following in his home country and throughout Europe since then. His repertoire reaches beyond superficiality of “Oops, I did it again” or “I want it that way.” And that's just his first album. The 24-year-old singer – whose voice is rumored to range three and a half octaves – joins a stale pop music scene, breathes in a new life and carries it beyond a catchy tune with often-repeated lyrics.



This song serves as an anthem for life's relationships – dating, marriage, or friendship. Awkwardly, a young not-yet-couple go out to a restaurant or a movie theater, making a careful chit-chat so not to frighten the representative of the opposite sex with too much of your real self. They crave each other's approval. To quote Shawn Spencer, a character from the USA Network series Psych, "This is my friend's card. His name is Gus. He is a good listener and is willing to change everything about himself for a girl."

Just listen to the lyrics:


Do I attract you? / Do I repulse you with my queasy smile? / Am I too dirty? / Am I too flirty? / Do I like what you like? / I could be wholesome, / I could be loathsome, / I guess I'm a little bit shy / Why don't you like me? / Why don't you like me / Without making me try?


“Grace Kelly” is a song about the pressures of compromising who you are to get where you ultimately want to be. Ironically, people gravitate to those with genuine personality. Very few can fake genuineness.

But the message in “Grace Kelly” isn't accidental. Messages are strapped on almost every song in Mika's first album “Life in Cartoon Motion.”

Another song, “Big Girl (You're Beautiful),” hasn't yet been released in the U.S., but it's been playing on radios all across Europe.



With media portraying women as thin, slim, attractive, smokin' hot, it's hard to find a song video with a dozen of buxomly thick-thighed women jump about in a London neighborhood, an image that seemingly promotes a healthy self-image for those who do not meet the beauty standards spilled from advertisement, movies, or magazine covers.

Big-breasted women with healthy level of self-worth are extraordinary in the media-saturated world that dictates what's beautiful and what is not. In fact, the message is so vivid and un-worldly that it often gets lost. A friend of mine – after watching the video – said, “It was interesting, but I didn't know if I should laugh.”

4 comments:

Brandon Caroland said...

Wow. Mika is something you really love or really hate. For me, Mika is as good an excuse as any for Columbine-style hate-crimes against popular music. Line 'em up and take em out. Mika and that horrible Canadian, Feist remind me of horrible Coca Cola Commercials from the 70s and 80s. It comes off just a little pretentious to me. There I said it. I know I don't have any right with my semi-homo-erotic fanaticism about U2 (just as bad to many) but I think people will remember U2 30 years from now, where Mika and Feist will be more like novelty songs on odd Genre Mixers for sale on cable for $19.99. In retrospect that sounded meaner than I really am, however, I stand by my word. Mika is pure drivel.

Aleks said...

Sure, Mika is no Bono. No one is like Bono. I mean Bono is a demigod.

Sure, Mika doesn't bore his listeners with speeches about saving a forest, or whales, or whatever. But, cut the man some slack. It's his first album.

So I think it's quite early to talk about legacy or a mark on the history of music. I'm quite sure the Beatles with their Obla-dee; Obla-da weren't thinking about becoming a hit on the Golden Oldies stations, yet they are a classic.

So what makes a band or an artist to last longer than Britney's marriage is up for a debate.

BigD said...

Is it just me, or does the guy sound a bit like Freddie Mercury?

Anyway, on the one hand, it's good to see a pop singer who actually has something to say for a change, rather than one who is only looking for the next big hit. On the other hand, these songs are really reminiscent of the obnoxious European electro-pop of the 80's. It was bad back then, and it's bad now.

At least he's doing something a little different. I won't be buying any of his records, but more power to him.

Brandon Caroland said...

I've been to Bono shows and listened to speeches (which are more about civil rights, Amnesty International, and debt relief for the world's poorest countries than the environment or animals) and have been inspired by the sermons about faith, morality, and God. Waste of time, right? Mika not only sounds a lot like Freddie Mercury, his entire act is an imitation. I saw him on the European VMA'a and the only thing he was missing was the mustache. Only Mika is slightly more emaciated and effeminate.