Tuesday, February 5, 2008

who's going to win Super Tuesday?

who cares?


here are some CD's to check out or avoid as you move through the 2008 political season.


All American Rejects, self titled

I checked it out because I liked the track “Move Along” (used in the recent Ford ads). I can sum up the album with one word—POP. Sugar coated, catchy (hit and miss in that aspect), repetitive songs. Most tracks sounded the same, which is to say they sounded very much like alternative albums of the mid-90’s. Not much there.



Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Baby 81

I almost broke down and bought the most recent BMRC album Baby 81, but lucky for me it was at library so I got to check it out for free. Quite good I have to say. It rocks out, big plus, with sort of a snarl, which of course I’m all for, and there’s a track that sounds suspiciously Beatles-ish. Now I’m going to say something I haven’t said in a long time, the album is good from start to finish. Is every song a winner, no, but good enough to get you to the next tune, which usually rocks the house. Albums these days are one, maybe 2 tracks surrounded by filler or experimental pieces of crap. So this was quite a change of pace, and I would definitely recommend this album.



Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Howl

I loved Baby 81 so I got an older album, which was a completely different style. Very very folksy with some blues mixed in. Imagine if Bob Dylan had a kid with a bunch of Chicago bluesmen. Of course, my favorite track on the album, Ain’t No Easy Way, is a completely different song than any the others, more of the style I like, so that was nice. The album is ok, but not rockin out and I can listen to so many low key songs in a row.

One add note. On the CD case, there was a note from the library not put the CD in your computer because files would be loaded from Sony that could do damage. What is that? Is that true? Crazy. I’m glad they put the note on it though.



Next up, Keane, Pete Townsend, the Band and Hot Hot Heat. I also got SRV live at Montreaux. I know I’m going to love that.



Remember turn off your radio and turn on Pandora. (unpaid advertisement)

4 comments:

Commish said...

This post was false advertisement. My RSS feeder told me that this post would be about politics, and instead I gained absolutely no insight into the 2008 delegations.

What a rip-off.

Austin Long said...

sweet.

Anonymous said...

Being a new member (or troll, if you will) to this blog, I must say that this blog is mildly entertaining. Question is, will it be better than Dangharris.com? Time will tell.

BigD said...

Somebody forgot to put out the troll repellent.

In response to Austin's question, I'd heard that some record companies were including some kind of malicious software on their CDs, though I can't remember offhand if it was spyware or anti-piracy software or what.