Monday, February 18, 2008

Wednesday



It wouldn't be me if I didn't start my cultural taproom posting with something about U2. I recently saw the sensational film of U23D. If you have never been to a live U2 show, this is an affordable way to get about 90% of the experience. I say 90% because you really do get everything but Bono's long-winded speeches. I personally like his speeches, but I know for many that foregoing those speeches would be an upside.
I had seen the last tour, Vertigo, and was a little apprehensive of what I might find in the movie experience (especially since I also already have the DVD from the concert in Chicago). At the end I was completely satisfied.
What you got was a 2.5 hour movie of perfectly performed U2 songs, reminding me of how incredible the actual concert was. The photography was all in high definition 3D with digital effects galore. The theater I saw it in, The Henry Ford IMAX, was the perfect location because it truly felt like a museum experience, reminding everyone in history of how different from most rock bands this group truly is.
It was so innovative, so alive, so energizing. It truly was the next best thing to being there. The nice thing is that it was much more affordable than actually being there.
The alarming thing is that it painted a picture of the future for me. The days of being able to afford going to the big rock show, at least for the average Joe like me, are limited. I think with recent events like the Led Zeppelin show in December and the amazing technology of this movie that getting close to the stars in the future will be a thing of the past.
If you haven't had a chance to check out the U23D experience, do so before it's too late. It may be already! Here's the trailer. Sadly, not in 3D.

No comments: