Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Thank YOU, Writer's Strike!

Usually, this time of year, I am enmeshed deeply into the seasons of two or three television dramas or comedies. I remember this time last year, the Rome season was coming to a climax, the Heroes series had me completely hooked, I couldn't wait for the next The Office and My Name is Earl Episodes. I was a television junkie, with high definition cable and a DVR to capture all my self-gratifying moments of television.

Thank you writers, for doing whatever it was you did the last six months. I am glad you settled whatever it is you needed to settle for your financial future. I was disappointed that you cut my seasons short, but I think you saved America, for a little while at least.

I really think the strike had a positive effect on America. I have no research to back this up, but it seems to me that Americans are more interested in the election this year than in ages. This has to be because there isn't anything else on television. I mean, how much Rock of Love can Americans take?

Apparently more, since there is a second season, another enlightening season of whatever Flava Flave's show is called, and a slew of other such shows, but I couldn't take it and so began watching debates (which I would have died to have to sit through four years ago).

I am able to follow the Pistons a little better this year because those games are better than reality television. I have been able to read up on the Tigers preseason transactions (which I could have cared less about four years ago). Four years ago I was still saying, "Fire Millen".

I am watching the debates and shows about the debates. I am watching the news. I also got the nerve to go back to school, basically because nothing has been on t.v.

So for now, I can delight in my cultural superiority. I am presently above television. I am better than television. Until next season.

2 comments:

Ryan said...

I think we should organized a world wide viewer's strike.

Down with TV!

Brandon Caroland said...

Down with TV... until the new season of Heroes, and the Office.... and South Park...