Tuesday, February 19, 2008

TV rots your brain and I love it

This weekend was spent in front of the TV. It was miserable outside, so I figured I would park it in front of the idiot box.

House. I am caught up. The secret santa episode was good for the inter office politics and the examination of “everyone lies” aspect. The South Pole episode was ok I thought. For some reason, I thought House’s infatuation with the doctor was contrived. Then there was the last episode, where House had to confront his theory that no one changes on several fronts.

Several things are sort of bothering me about House.

First the credits. Cameron and Chase are in the hospital but not on the team. Why are they on the intro credits? I mean they show up for maybe two minutes a show, clearly in scene pages that have “insert Cameron or Chase here” on them.

The last two episodes have tried to examine a facet of House’s persona and have instant change (love and relationships). The love, or the reasonable facisimile of love, was possible. Here’s a doctor, smart, good looking, feisty, so House is interested. But the following episode has Cutthroat Bitch dating Wilson, while interesting, should be a thread that is slowly developed. I would much rather had each point/counterpoint explored in an episode, instead of being resolved in each segment of the show. I mean imagine the personal change House would have had to gone through to say, I allow you to date her, despite the possible loss of the only friend I have, midway through season 5, rather than at the end of a show ¾ of the way through season 4. But I don’t write the show.

Finished season 2 of Rescue Me. Devastated. I didn’t cry during the final two shows only because I was in shock. The show is like watching Dancer in the Dark for 8 hours instead of 2.

On a slightly more uplifting note, I watched Manchester United thrash Arsenal 4-0 in the FA Cup. Nani showed some amazing skill and shows that United will be around next year. I also watched Juventus and Roma, which was boring. Surprising that two teams of this quality played that poorly. Turnovers, bad challenges, lack of finishing. Highly disappointing for one of the biggest games of the season. Inter has won the title and now everyone else is fighting for scraps.

The Champions League starts Tuesday and should provide some interesting scenarios. Will Arsenal implode? Will AC Milan finally give up the ghost and rebuild? Will Liverpool weasel their way through the rounds? Will United go the extra step? I know you don’t care, but I do.

Sunday night I watched the Family Guy, in which James Woods steals Peter’s identity. Hilarious. That show skewers pop culture in a way that is offensive, funny and insightful.

Last night we watched more of Studio 60. 4 more shows to go before moving on to the West Wing, although Ben sent me an email saying there are new episodes of House scheduled for the end of April. We shall see.

I had my first shame spiral on Facebook this morning. I started listing my favorite movies, then I started rating them, then I started listing ones I have seen, would see, and then started the Great Movie Test or whatever it is called and answered like the first 20 in a row correctly and I looked up and 30 minutes had passed and I still don’t know how to make a bumper sticker. Ugh.

Listen to the Tony Kornheiser Show, keeping the world safe for emperecy. HAHAHA!!!

No comments: