Friday, December 19, 2008

Holiday Observations

** I seem to have one of those cars that was specifically designed to get stuck in the snow. You can argue that my circumstances are a result of short-sighted auto manufacturing, or you can argue that they are a result of my selection of this vehicle for purchase. I choose to champion the former of the two.

This morning I was fortunate to get out of my subdivision, of course none of the roads there had been plowed. This was at 1pm. I reveresed-overdrived my way down the street, getting stuck about 10 times and probably taking about 15 minutes to drive an eighth of a mile. Then I turned onto Willow, which was also largely untouched by the plows, and Elmwood, same story. You'd think at the very least I'd find smooth sailing when I hit Saginaw. But nope, pretty much all the way downtown it was just surfing through snowbanks that had been moved around all morning by passing trucks and buses.

Once I got here, I made my fatal mistake. Turning left onto Michigan from Capitol, I veered too far into what was the actual left turn lane, which contained about 15 inches of snow (again, no plowing on Capitol). Now I was STUCK. All four wheels were spinning with no ground to push against. I was like a turtle perched atop a mound of dirt, flailing my legs wildly but unable to gain any traction to move myself. I had to be pushed out by several kind passerbys.

The moral of the story is this: if you live in Michigan, sure, it is still un-green and energy-wasteful of you to own an SUV or F-150 just to drive around. But there are certain times of the year when it is also extremely practical and might even be worth the extra three or four thousand dollars (compounded annually).

** If you're like me, you appreciate a good "Carol of the Bells" as well as anybody, but the best iteration I've ever heard, and still look forward to listening to every year, is the acoustical composition that Steven Curtis Chapman put together on his "Music of Christmas" album back in 1995. Multiple guitars and strings, no lyrics, and just a really upbeat, awesome piece of music. Go find it on itunes.

** I took care of most of my Christmas responsibilities, but like everyone, there are a few names left to cross off on my shopping list. People that really wouldn't think twice about not receiving a gift from me, but who are so important to me that I really want to do something for them to show my appreciation. Which means a trip to the ^&$#@&! shopping mall this weekend, because I don't really have anything in particular in mind for them, and need browsing options.

I will inevitably wind up purchasing at least one item from the annual rip-off artists who run the kiosks down the middle of the great halls of the shopping mall, some piece of jewelry or all-in-1 video game or basket of cheeses from around the world. I will do this because I will be at a total loss at what to purchase for the last name or two on my list, because I will be lured by the bright lights and pretty product display, and because, hey, I know what they paid for those kiosks, and trust me, they need my business.

** Remember when we were kids, and the ONLY time you could ever get to watch the Charlie Brown Christmas special was that one time a year when it was broadcast on TV? If you missed it, were out with your parents, the TV antenna wasn't working, power was out, too bad.... maybe next year. Then when I was around 12, VCR's got huge enough that my family could afford one, and I could try and record it on videotape.

Today? Well, you could purchase it on DVD, set your DVR to record it when it airs and then watch it all year round, pick it up on ITunes, or just go the illegal route and download the torrent. Truly, today's options are more convenient and allow for Charlie Brown enjoyment at any time, but why am I still somewhat wistful for the limited options and snowy-grained network broadcast of yore? Is it just because I'd like to be that young again?

4 comments:

mindbender said...

1) Crystal says you forgot another option: Tom is not a very good driver.

2) Your car is lower to the ground than others. You should get something like the Lumina. I'm not sure I ever got that thing stuck.

3) You should check out the new Sixpence None the Richer Christmas album, it has a great version of Carol of the Bells.

mindbender said...

Oh, and along with number 2, do not be tempted by the snow and currently low gas prices. Neither will be around for ever.

JD said...

I drive a Mazda 6 and so far haven't gotten stuck in it, since buying it in 2003, mainly it struggles to get moving, particularly if I get stuck at a stoplight at the base of an incline.

I did, however, have to drive past my driveway last night as there was a 2 1/2' wall of plowed-over snow blocking the end. Parked in a neighbor's driveway across the street (whom I had not met before last night) and begged them to let me leave my car there for a couple hours...I can deal with 4 inches of snow here and there, no big deal, but clearing the drive last night was an endurance test--are you all shovelers or snow blowers?

Commish said...

We have an el-cheapo snowblower that we got for free, it was little use today with the wind blowing so hard, so had to shovel.

Shoveling's not so bad if you can keep up on it. If you let it go a week and it gets all packed down and icy, you're screwed for the rest of the winter.