Tuesday, December 23, 2008

holiday shopping, Mad Men and off to alabama

So for our Holiday party at BIGGBY, we went to the Meridian Mall to shop. After finally pulling myself away from the bar at Ruby Tuesday’s, I stopped by Schuler’s to pick up a few things. Got the new sloan and Dandy Warhols albums. I’ve listened to the Dandy tracks online through their website but this will be a lot better.

Also picked up a hardcover version of the Watchmen. Will be reading that at the first of the year in preparation for the release of the movie. I grabbed a Denis Leary DVD with No Cure for Cancer and Locked ‘n Loaded, (Insert mancrush comments here), as well as Lewis Black Live at Carnegie Hall. I’ve listened to first disc and it’s great.

Finally I got Arrested Development, Season 1 and Sin City. I heard a rumor that they are doing an Arrested Development movie. Is that true? As for Sin City, the greatest comic adaptation ever and a kick ass ride too.



I also found time to watch the first season of Mad Men. The show was recommended to me by Dave and I admit, after the first show, I was not that impressed. But after the first disc, I was completely hooked and finished the rest in record time.

Great writing and acting, amazing depth in the characters and conflicts. An insightful contrast into selling happiness but not experiencing happiness. Add to that hints of mystery around the main character and you’ve got an amazing show.

A couple of aspects that they overplay (?) is the smoking, drinking and treatment of women. Every moment of every shot is someone smoking a cigarette or drinking alcohol of some sort. Is that really how it was? And were women really eyed and touched and ordered around like that? WOW!!

So I plan to get the second season as soon as possible and see how the story moves forward. Check it out.



As for the holidays, I’m off to Alabama tomorrow for a couple of days. I plan on doing a whole lot of nothing. College football doesn’t look that exciting so I’ll probably skip that maintain a tough regimen of playing online poker, looking for music and watching the first season of Chuck. I can’t wait.



I leave you with this great moment from Attack of the Show:

No comments: