Monday, December 15, 2008

Zeitgiest

Google has released its Zeitgiest 2008 (spirit of the times): “As the year comes to a close, it's time to look at the big events, memorable moments and emerging trends that captivated us in 2008.” They do this trend study by charting the billions of searches that go through their servers. Though most things were to be expected, I found some interesting things of note. Here are the top 10 fastest rising searches from around the world:
1. sarah palin
2. beijing 2008
3. facebook login
4. tuenti (Spanish Facebook)
5. heath ledger
6. obama
7. nasza klasa (Social networking in Poland)
8. wer kennt wen (Social networking in Germany)
9. euro 2008
10. jonas brothers

Nothing terribly surprising there, except I am amazed that Heath Ledger beat out our next president. I also still fail to see the fascination with the Jonas Brothers.

In a similar vein, here are the top 5 image searches:
1. sarah palin
2. obama
3. twilight
4. miley cyrus
5. joker

I assume Miley made it with all the hubbub concerning her “sensually charged photos”. But how is the Joker in the top 5? Is it possible that a whole generation has no idea who this super criminal is or what he looks like? Bizzare.

In the sports category here are the top 5 searched clubs:
1. manchester united
2. chelsea
3. chivas
4. barcelona
5. arsenal

I was happy to see Man U and Arsenal, but somewhat surprised at Chelsea but no Liverpool. Also, Chivas? Really? And here is the most bizarre list I found – Mascot searches:
1. olympic mascot
2. georgia mascot
3. tennessee mascot
4. ohio state mascot
5. phillies mascot
6. auburn mascot
7. alabama mascot
8. stanford mascot
9. harvard mascot
10. notre dame mascot

I don’t know why these mascots were searched so often. Perhaps they are going into retirement, got fired, or quit and the spot is open to the public. Who knows, but of those listed Auburn, Alabama, Stanford and Harvard seem out of place. The rest are pretty well known but who cares about those 4? Apparently a lot of people – enough to make the list.

So, I end with the question, what thing, picture, concept have you searched for the most this year? I will admit that mine has revolved around celebrities – mostly because I don’t know who the hell these people are. I see something on TV or on the news about them and they are made out to be the biggest thing since Swatch Watches. But I have never heard of them. So, I have to Google them to placate my inquisitive nature. I know, I am just feeding the entertainment monster, but I can’t help my self.

No comments: