Tuesday, December 2, 2008

long weekend with lots of media intake

My extended weekend was a glorious weekend of doing nothing. Had the best Thanksgiving ever. Hamburgers, chips, dip and beer. Watched Iron Man. Bed. AWESOME!!!

As for Iron Man, good but not great. Decent action sequences, but the movie was a touch unbelievable. Oh well, what are you going to do? Jeff Bridges going cueball was a very interesting look.




I spent a lot of the weekend watching the first season of Burn Notice. I’ll admit, after the pilot episode I was less than impressed. It grew on me as I moved forward. I found the narration both humorous and annoying. I think it’s the guy’s voice. Bruce Campbell is great. I would love to know how this is written. Experience? Research? The result of a Bond marathon? Bullshit? I’ll probably check out season two only to see what happens to the main protagonist. By the way, where has the lady from Cagney and Lacey been hanging out all this time?

Saturday was a big day spent in front of the boob tube. I watched Juve crush Reggina in the snow of Turin. A great set up from Del Piero to Nedved led to Camo’s opening goal and, after going behind two goals at halftime, Reggina just walked around and waited to get on the bus to get out of the freezing cold. A 4-0 victory for the old lady. Still six points behind Inter, and a member of the board came out today and said they won’t sign anyone in January. Their strategy is that the healed injuries at the first of the year will give them the depth they need to fight on several fronts. Problem is that these guys are on the Italian version of the AARP. Sign some youthful creativity, I’m begging you.




Watched the Bedlam game. The defense of Oklahoma St. just can’t stop anyone. They play a good team and give up 40+ points. Their offense just can’t keep up. They must improve the defense a ton if they want to compete with the big boys.

While watching the game, I got sucked into the 48 Hours Mystery. One of these wrongful convictions. They kept saying, stay tuned for the dramatic finale, which of course was just another summary and a new fact or two. It was like an American Idol final episode. Just tell me whether the guy was guilty or not so I can move on with my life. (He was innocent.)




Also, this weekend I saw the Thievery Corporation on Austin City Limits. They are officially my new favorite band. Check out the samples on their website and find their performance of the track “Lebanese Blond” on the Austin City Limits website. It will blow your mind.

Ta Ta for now.

1 comment:

Sam said...

I like "Burn Notice" quite a bit, but I worry about it being a victim of its own success like many shows that actually have a running plot. The writers get signed for more seasons than they have written and so must add filler to get there thus resulting in some fluffy episodes that don't really add much. Season 2 falls into that trap at times. Some episodes have him no closer to figuring out the reason behind being burned because he is doing his charity work. Other episodes seem more dedicated to this discovering endeavor but at the end of the episode I wonder, "What did he/we really find out?" Very little. But, on the whole, I am still hooked and ready for season 3 in January.

I got some Thievery Corporation and will let you know what I think.