Monday, December 1, 2008

Thanksgiving Wretching

Thanksgiving Break was good for me. Got to see some of the folks from my previous church and got to see Carrie’s Brother’s family for a while. Got a 7-Eleven Slurpee – Vanilla Cream flavored. Turkey was tasty – but no mashed potatoes. Also, I finished up a paper that was due on “The Development of Israelite Religion.” I know, enthralling stuff. Let me know if you want me to email you a copy.

The most startling experience of the week came during the Dallas-Seattle football game – a halftime performance by the Jonas Brothers. Now I have seen the Jonas Brothers everywhere. Girls seem to be going crazy for these guys. There is a bunch of swag out there. But I have never heard a song or seen a video by this familial trio. I have just seen public appearances that consisted of silly jabbering with the anchor person while teenage girls screamed in the background.

So imagine my delight when I found out that JB (apparently short for Jonas Brothers) were performing at half time. I know I am a cynical chap, but I was shocked and appalled. These guys sucked live. I mean beyond being terrible. It was like I was transported back to the 90s and was listening to Hanson – except without the talent. Even one of their songs (“Burning Love”) was only a note or two off from being the hook to “Umm Bop.” I am not exaggerating for effect – it was that close. Don’t believe me? I have the two songs below for your comparison.

Well, I can scratch them off my list of CDs that I want for Christmas. Which brings me to my rant. I know I complained about movies the other week. But music sucks too. It seems that anyone can get signed and promoted in such a way as to convince everyone that s/he has talent, when in fact it is all from the hand of the producer. Pandora has been nice in finding new and decent music, but good luck finding quality music in the mainstream.

So, if anyone has some recommendations for some good, new music, I am all ears. I particularly like rap and hip-hop that is similar to old school stuff, rock (both classic and of the grunge era).


"Burning Love" by Jonas Brothers



"Umm Bop" by Hanson (They would not let me embed, so just click on the link)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd0C_Us31kk

No comments: