Saturday, October 11, 2008

Burn (your retinas) Before Viewing...

The new Coen Brothers movie "Burn After Reading" completely blew me away. I have not been able to stop thinking about it since we left the theater 45 minutes ago. I'm amazed, I'm astounded, I'm speechless, it boggles my mind...

It boggles my mind what kind of crap these two "directors" put into theaters and people actually watch it. I'm speechless because there are no words to describe the black void that is this movie, I'm amazed and astounded that a movie can have no plot, no character depth, and no entertainment value whatsoever and still be playing in theaters. To quote the most used line in the movie, "Are you f**king kidding me!?" Yes, yes they are. It's a big fat joke on all of us.

Coen Brothers have gone the way of Hemingway, so engrossed in their own genius, they've taken to drinking booze while copious amounts of feral cats do the writing for them and, if I could be so lucky, they too will shoot themselves in the face. Instead of making movies that are, they are making movies that are not. This one in particular has no meaning but also is not purposely meaningless. It is not a comedy, not action/adventure, not drama, not suspense. If this movie were to have any genre whatsoever I suppose it would have to be the brand new "Mostly Boring and Sometimes Mildly Horrific" genre. Not quite realistic enough so that the audience is sympathetic to the characters, not unrealistic enough to be comedy, fantasy, or sci-fi. The one thing this movie really WAS, was a waste of a perfectly good friday night.

"What are we to learn from this?" says some guy in the movie that I'm not even going to expend the energy to check on IMDB.com. NOTHING. You might as well ask what we are to learn from pillow stuffing. The difference between a good concept for a movie and a good movie is a complete story line. Antagonist, crisis, climax, resolution. I suggest that the Coen brothers take the concept of this movie and make it into a REAL movie. Now taking into consideration Raising Arizona and Hudsucker Proxy, I'm willing to give them a do over. If they can remake the Hulk, they can also remake this one and I will consider* watching it.

But let's also not forget that this is not the Coens first steaming pile of a movie. Barton Fink was another notamovie, utterly forgettable except for the bad taste it leaves in your mouth. From this point on the Coen Brothers are on probation, should they continue down this road of depravity I will apply the three strikes rule, and they're already on strike two.

I'm usually one to allow everyone their own opinion. But in this instance I have to put my foot down. Coen brothers wrote, produced, and directed one of the all time worst movies ever made. Period. Done. The End. Finished.

*That's a huge lie, I have no intention of watching this movie or any remake thereof at any time in my life. EVER.

No comments: