Tuesday, October 21, 2008

i am the candidate for change

Media:

Michael Clayton

To be honest, I’m not sure I even understood most of the plot. It appeared as if UNorth was trying to avoid a major financial and PR disaster, and George Clooney was there to minimize the mess, which led to his life spiraling out of control. I think the head of Clayton’s law firm was somehow involved in the cover up but then again I don’t know.

The film was very intense, and I couldn’t take my eyes off it. The acting was good, the world created was good, everything was fine. I thought the thread of the fantasy book was very good and tied the movie together nicely. I would probably see it again, if only to figure out the story I missed the first time.



The 4400, Season 4.

The show is finally paying off. I thought at midpoint of this season, the story really elevated and started hitting the high notes. What does Promicin mean for humanity and its future? Who is Jordan Collier and what is his role? There are several ridiculous plot holes but I live with them as the show explores these people and their extraordinary powers. It did go very comic book at the end of the season with people losing then regaining their powers, coming back from the dead, and the protagonists always prevailing at the end, no matter the situation. Looking back, I think they should have minimized the cast and cut away some of the unneeded episodes. All in all a decent show, and I’m very interested in how they wrap this up. I really hope they have an end in sight. Otherwise the show could keep limping along, with stories and situations getting more and more unbelievable.

Update: I just visited the 4400 wikipedia page. After the writer’s strike, it was revealed that the series had been cancelled. AHHH!!!! After all that, just pull the plug. Thanks a latte.




Soccer:

Wasn’t able to catch any games this weekend. Watched the highlights and Chelsea and Man Utd’s demolition of their opponents was scary. Liverpool with another comeback. How long can they keep that up? Juve were sorry again and now have Real Madrid in the Champions League. They will either rise to the occasion or this season will be over in two competitions. The Madrid derby had two extraordinary goals. Look them up if you can.



Politics:

Not my usual milieu, but I was driving around in the car today and heard Glenn Beck interviewing Sarah Palin. This person may be our next vice-president? She speaks like she is either super ADD and can’t say things fast enough or she is pausing waiting for the key words to pop up in her head. The conversation was very disjointed and kinda annoying. It is good that a “normal” person is up for high office, but in theory we need the best and brightest leading the country, and I don’t see the hockey mom as that person. She could have been a cabinet member or something, but second in the command to a candidate who has one foot in the grave?

In the end, I’m not voting, but I am observing and there seems to be a lot of doublespeak from both sides.

I will leave you with a snippet from the voice of reason: Onion News Network.

No comments: