Tuesday, October 7, 2008

soccer and movies

What a weekend of soccer.

I watched highlights of Barca’s demolition of Atletico. 3-0 after 8 minutes. After three consecutive late shows, including a ridiculous goal to by Messi to beat Shaktar, they left no doubt against Atletico. I read a FCB blog Monday and the writer stated that Barca was exactly in the same position last year, came back from international break and slowly declined for the rest of the season. Hopefully the Blaugrana will finish the job this year.

Speaking of finishing the job, all hail Liverpool. I watched them in midweek destroy a subpar PSV. Then I show up at James’ house on Sunday afternoon with Liverpool down 2-0 to City. European hangover? Typical Liverpool swoon? How wrong I was as Torres started the fightback and Kuyt finished the job as the Reds came all the way back and won 3-2. Losing Skrtel will be tough but all other things being equal, I really think Liverpool will compete for the title this year. If they pick up points in December and January, they should have the momentum to go for the Double. Could the almost 20 year wait be over? They may never have a better chance.

I have strong and lengthy comments re: Juventus that I will publish as a separate post.

Finally, my over 30 team won on PK’s Sunday to advance in our end of season tournament. Next is Dewitt. With a win we play under the lights at East Lansing, which will be sweet, but quite cold I’m sure.



Moving on, I listened to the new Oasis album, Dig Out Your Soul. It starts quite well, 4 of the first 5 tracks are passable, and the first single, The Shock of the Lighting is quite good. After that I wasn’t too interested. I will say it might grow on me, but it feels like the last couple of albums. Decent start, a couple of rockin tracks and then a bunch of filler. Let’s face it, after Morning Glory, it’s been just a futile attempt to regain glory. Their first two albums are absolute quality from start to finish. After that, there are several very good singles, but as a whole, lots of wasted tracks. A friend has tix for the December show at the Palace. I’m debating whether to go or not.



I have several movies on hold at the library. I’m hoping to a) get there and b) find time to watch them. On my account are:
In Bruges
Michael Clayton

I hope to review these next week. Early thoughts?


Also, there are rumors of a Coen Brothers marathon in November. Any interest out there in cyberland? Ben? You could fly back for the weekend. Brandon, you can come over. I’m sure we find you a place to crash. Sam? You’ve got nothing to do.


Until next week . . .

No comments: