Friday, October 3, 2008

Just Eat It!

Tonight was not the first night I've had sushi. It was probably the first time I've had "real" sushi..."real" expensive. I liked the rolls well enough, especially when they had something fried in the middle. Doesn't really matter what it is, as long as it's battered and dipped in oil. And I'm getting a feel for wasabi, mix it with a little soy sauce and it's a kind of spicy that I could really go for when I normally don't care for heat at all.

But I didn't care for the sashimi, raw fish is raw fish is raw fish. You think for what they're charging they could season it and slap on a grill for 20 seconeds. It's slimy and mushy. I don't know how people get into this stuff, must be the hep cool thing.

What I really don't get is the Edemame. Some one asked for three bowls of this stuff to be brought to the table. I had heard the word before but was never impressed enough to remember what it was. Then I remembered why. It's soy beans, call it what you will, it's still just soy beans. Soy beans that have been steamed and then left to get cold. And you know what they taste like? Soy beans, that's right, and they smell like it too! I ate them, I only had 2 cups of yogurt today so I would have eaten anything by that point.

It makes me think about what other similarly worthless crops are out there just waiting for some yuppy intellectual to come along and turn it into food. Makes me wanna go out and mow my lawn, call it Ootafaloota, steam it and feed it to you at $50 a plate.

4 comments:

Brandon Caroland said...

Edamame (枝豆, Edamame?) is a preparation of BABY soybeans (not just any soybeans) in the pod commonly found in China and Japan. The pods are boiled in water together with condiments such as salt, and served whole.

Outside East Asia, the dish is most often found in Japanese restaurants and some Chinese restaurants, but has also found popularity elsewhere as a healthy food item. The Japanese (or hippies as they are sometimes referred) name edamame is commonly used in some English-speaking countries to refer to the dish (because that is what the hep cools do). The Japanese name literally means "twig bean" not "overpriced soy product", and is a reference to the short stem attached to the pod. This term originally referred to young soybeans in general. Over time, however, the prevalence of the salt-boiled preparation meant that the term edamame now often refers specifically to this dish.

mindbender said...

I think we're all in trouble. It looks like Brandon has discovered Wikipedia.

Anonymous said...

You actually had some of these in your freezer at one point...I ate them when I was doing weight watchers. If you put salt on them they're pretty good
Deborah

Bristol Crowne said...

yeah, I think I'll stick with peas.