Sunday, October 26, 2008

Eye Goo and Chicken Nachos

First of all, a question:  I just blew my nose and some goo came out of the corner of my eye--is that something I should be concerned about?

Not what I was planning on writing about, but it's hard to stay focused with eye goo.

Saturday was brilliant.  Started off as every Saturday does for my wife and I--got up, made coffee and breakfast for both of us, sat down to watch The Soup, which was on DVR from Friday night.  I don't watch much reality tv at all, but you really don't have to, Joel McHale, the host, goes after everyone, but he's particulary quick to skewer The Hills, Tyra Banks, and Kim Kardashian, which I totally approve of.

Then started watching Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip on dvd as I began a project upstairs in the Library--not really at all what I was expecting, but I was instantly sucked in, and am now about eight episodes in.  Watched all of this while working on cataloguing our books using Delicious Library--a program for the Mac that allows you to enter movies, books, and videogames, either by typing in the name, ISBN number, or by scanning the barcode using the webcam that comes in the mac book (I still don't really understand how that works without projecting lasers or whatever, but cool--it works).  It then loads in all of the info about it, director, stars, genre, rating, dates, author, publisher, etc.  I've got a large collection of dvds and books, and this program was definitely built for me--you can export your library list to excel, which is nice because I can keep it on my phone as I have been known to occasionally forget exactly which titles I own while shopping for them, and when people borrow from my collection I can actually check the dvd or book out to them, so I can keep track of who has what--totally wish I would have had this during the college years because I am certain I lost things loaning them out, but could never remember who borrowed what.  Plus, because I am a collector geek, it's frankly very gratifying to see them all collected in a database and have an actual number put to it (854 dvds, 663 books, but only halfway through getting those uploaded).  And yes, all of this drives my wife crazy.

Continued scanning books while watching MSU beat UofM (it's about damn time) and after the game went out to run some errands and had dinner at Houlihan's in Lansing.  I'm a fan of that place--love the chipotle chicken nachos, which we had last night, and the overall feel of the place.  It's no Claddaugh, but I dig it all the same.  Plus they have Sam Adam's Octoberfest on tap, which is another big plus. 

Lastly, we're watching SNL right now from last night--largely very unfunny, which is interesting having gotten a few episodes into Studio 60 yesterday.  Anyway, Coldplay is the musical guest (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLAH6O-wRgI), and I'm just very annoyed by them at this point.  Like their music just fine, but this is really rough--are they just too perfectly built for playing arenas and stadiums to be at home in a small studio setting?  Did you check out the way they're dressed?  It looks like Apple (Martin/Paltrow offspring) dressed them.  In the dark.  And Chris Martin bouncing around, gangly legs in skinny jeans and arms with what appears to be different colored rags tied around them, wandering around the set, fixing his gaze on a stadium upper deck that just isn't there--dude, take it down a notch or four.  Am I wrong here?  Signing off--JD



1 comment:

Austin Long said...

we watched studio 60 over spring/summer. funny show, great dialogue, interesting characters. so good that they had to cancel it.