Tuesday, April 1, 2008

4.1.08 (no april fools' day derived material to follow)

Where to start? How about Michigan State basketball allowing me to go to bed early Friday night, since they absolutely sucked and were down by 30 at halftime. My dreams thank you.

This weekend I watched Election. If you haven’t seen it and are feeling a little snarky, go rent it. Reese Witherspoon is naively evil as Tracy Flick and Matthew Broderick is surprisingly pathetic as Mr. M. Chris Klein is painful to watch Paul. PAINFUL. The only other thing I’ve seen him in is American Pie and he played a similar character with slightly more depth, but how did that guy get into films. I will say that the epilogue goes on for a little bit, but other than that, a fun little movie.

This weekend I witnessed, not live of course, the destruction of Aston Villa by Manchester United. Truly fantasy soccer. You can’t believe that any team can play like that. Then I watched Barca throw it all away against Real Betis. The game and the league went down the tubes. How they will beat Schalke over two legs is beyond me. They are mentally frail and they end this season with nothing, when they had a chance at everything.

Last night we watched more of the West Wing. The shows that are issue driven are far more enjoyable than the human interest, touchy feely ones. Tom says that season one is building towards a much better season 2. We shall see.

I’m over halfway with No Country for Old Men. It’s a blend of the writing of Faulkner and the book A Simple Plan, with a little 100 Bullets thrown in. It’s interesting but I’m not sure what ending will satisfy me. I’m getting a little worried about that because if I don’t like the ending, then, based on reviews of the movie, I won’t like the movie.

Other than that, I finally won my first bet on centsports. Very exciting. I actually picked an NCAA game correctly but forgot to hit the place bet button. Then I followed up with Louisville/UNC game. I got the o/u right but not the spread. GRRR!!! Then I picked the Lakers to cover against the Wizards, and of course I missed that by one point. But last night the Hawks come through for me. Onwards and upwards.

Remember: Pick Flick.

No comments: