Tuesday, April 8, 2008

review and comment

As always, where do I start?

I finished No Country for Old Men. Very weird writing style. Fragments, stream of concisousness, local vernacular and accents. It alternates between the sheriff’s commentary and the narrative. However there is some great dialogue about the state of the world and the nature of guilt.

I’m not sure if reading the book made the movie better or if I would have enjoyed it anyway. Javier Bardem is awesome. The movie strips away some of the meandering of the book, which is ok, except at the end. The ending is definitely a whimper rather than a bang in both the book and film. After the buildout up I can see how the finish would be disappointing, but after the reading the book and having it reinforced by the movie, I thoroughly enjoyed it. The story is not really about the Chigurh and Moss. The story is about the sheriff, how he has lived his life, how he sees the world going to hell in a handbasket, and how one can live in such in a world. The story of money, drugs and violence is merely a snippet of the real world and the sheriff is trying to navigate his way through all of it, while dragging around a huge cinderblock of guilt and confusion behind him, which is revealed in the book. All in all, a movie well worth your time.

This weekend was the Final Four. I was in and out of both games, so didn’t invest a lot of time. The best part of the KU/UNC game was when Billy Packer, with the score 40-12 to Kansas, said, “This game is over.” Fair enough. Then I’m going to bed. Thanks Billy. Turns out I missed a furious comeback, that made the game interesting for a while, but in the end KU pulled away again.

The game last night was amazing. I hadn’t seen KU all season until the Final Four, but their defense was incredible. I thought the UNC game was a fluke, but no. Memphis’ free throws cost them. And it cost me seven cents on centsports. I have to say, I was pretty confident with a nine point lead with just under two minutes to go. And then the bottom fell out. Once it went to OT, there was only going to be one winner. Not me.

In my travels on the internet, I have come across a couple of websites.

First, is radaronline.com. Sort of a pop culture catchall. They have this great popularity index, the Fame-O-Meter, that has a series of algorithms to figure who is the most popular person in a bunch of categories. It is fun to skim, and the explanation of How It Works is pretty funny.

Also I’m trying to figure out Rhapsody. So far it seems to be in-between Pandora and iTunes. I fooled around with it yesterday and wasn’t that impressed. I suppose if I coughed up the $12.99/$14.99 I might find it more interesting, but that’s not happening anytime soon. As I understand it, you can listen for free to any song, any time, but you only get 25 of those per month. You can listen to their channels for free all day, but you can’t really skip ahead. That sucks. So if there any Rhapsody users out there, tell me why I should give this a chance.

That’s all I’ve got. By the way, is there some sort of election going on? There’s this annoying buzzing in my ears that I can’t get rid of.

2 comments:

Brandon Caroland said...

rhapsody is good if you have an ipod or other large-volume mp3 player. once you cough up the extra dough you can download an unlimited number of songs per month and put them on your mp3 player as a subscription. then you only pay 89 cents per song if you want to keep it. you can use up to 3 mp3 players per account. the drawback is that artists do not like subscription sights like rhapsody and napster (same thing really)so you can't always get everything. but what you can get is usually really good and always clean (meaning no bugs or viruses). Plus then you have unlimited downloading with a clean conscience. I use it.

Commish said...

$5.33 on CentSports. Just to rub it in.