Friday, April 25, 2008

That's Hardcore, Baby!

So the college I attend is nestled in the foothills of Gilroy, CA.  Those foothills happen to be natural mountain lion habitat.  I was a little shocked the first time I drove onto campus to see "caution: mountain lions" signs everywhere.  Apparently it's not unusual if you're on campus early in the morning to see some of the suckers walking around the campus.  It's so relatively common, in fact, that the teachers give students tips on how to avoid mountain lion attacks.  We learn little gems such as the following:
  • Appear larger.  Raise your arms, open your jacket, and speak in a firm, loud voice to convince the lion you are not prey.  Throw stones or branches, but don't crouch or turn your back.
  • Fight back.  Try to remain standing and facing the attacking animal.  Many victims have successfully fended off an attack using rocks, jackets, garden tools, and their bare hands.
Wow.  What do you say to that?  It's like, I could be on my way to the cafeteria for lunch and I could get mauled.  I could be doing research in the library and I could get mauled.  I could be taking a test and I could get mauled.  I go to school in a place where you might be attacked by a vicious wild animal at any given time and your best bet for survival is to go mano e mano with a ferocious attacking lion.  That's hardcore, baby!  California rocks!

4 comments:

mindbender said...

Yeah, we were in Folsom for the last few days looking for a place to live. We saw a sign that read: "Caution: Rattlesnakes on premises"

I'm not sure how I feel about that...

BigD said...

You should feel excited! When was the last time you felt like your life was threatened while doing something otherwise ordinary like going to school or making breakfast? Life is more interesting when you have to deal with the constant, deadly threat of wild animals and venomous reptiles.

Brandon Caroland said...

It's a decent trade off for the lack of mosquitoes

Bristol Crowne said...

I don't mind my own life being threatened, it's the idea that my dog would be sniffing along and be dead before she even knew there was a snake in front of her...she's not very observant.