Monday, September 8, 2008

Advancements in Technology

With the move from Tennessee to Kentucky, I have seen an upgrade in technology…sort of. In Tennessee we had satellite with a DVR. I could record any show I wanted. There was a dual tuner so I could watch picture in picture or watch a show while another was recording. In regard to internet, I hacked a Linksys router and turned it into a wireless repeater/bridge so I could leech off the church’s wireless signal and get free internet at my house.

When we arrived in Kentucky, we decided to forego cable or satellite due to budgetary concerns. So all I had was 5 channels of rabbit ear reception and no internet. Knowing that D-day is coming soon (the day when all broadcasting goes digital), I dialed up the internet (at church) and asked for my Digital TV Converter coupons. When they arrived I went up to Wal-Mart and got 2 converters for $10 a piece. I was skeptical, assuming there would be little difference. I could not have been more wrong. Here is what I got with my converter boxes:
A bump up from 5 channels to 11 – 3 CBS stations (regular, WB, weather), NBC, 2 ABC channels (regular and weather), 4 PBS channels (you read correctly), and FOX
Crystal clear digital signal, even on my non HD 27-inch CRT TV
On screen guide for the individual channels
Another remote (not an upside)

So, the TV situation is good, especially as the new season of shows is just around the corner (come back next week as I give my preview what I will watch). In addition, we wanted a home phone, so we got the phone/DSL bundle since it was basically the same price. I hooked it into my wireless router which I reverted back to the factory settings and so we have internet throughout the house and yard.

Now we are not advanced by most of our societies’ standards, but compared to what we had 2 weeks ago I think we are doing pretty well for ourselves.

2 comments: