Tuesday, September 2, 2008

a trip in the way back machine

This weekend was a trip down memory lane on a couple levels. We were sitting around stuffing envelopes for Tom’s candidate while listening to the Ghostbusters 2 soundtrack, on vinyl. I didn’t even realize that there was a soundtrack, but be that as it may, the conversation turned to our time in high school. Like Tom taping his own top 40 show a la Kasey Kasem. Or playing Bible Bowl when the team was just Tom and me. Or remembering times based on the music: Michael Jackson’s Dangerous, Metallica’s self titled album and Nirvana’s Nevermind. Good times filled with Risk, Rampage and basketball.

The following morning we attended a local traditional church service. Not my cup of tea, but I endured it. Tom and I passed notes back and forth, falling back into a natural habit as if it were yesterday. The only difference was that we weren’t actually sitting in the back row.

I met with Ryan Apple to discuss the poetry written during my artistic phase, and in explaining the poems I had to explore the context in which they were written, taking me down a path of high school love/rejection, existentialist angst, spiritual desolation, and my relationship with Erin. It had been a long time since I had really read the lines and it did two things:
---Took me back to a specific moment in my life.
---Made me wonder if I could ever write like that again.

Finally I reconnected with a friend from high school via that most 2008 of experiences: Facebook. Since I added my high school to my facebook account, I’ve had half of dozen friend requests, which I have ignored but one. I’m not going to just reconnect with just anyone. I didn’t really know you in high school, why would I talk to you now?

Moving on to soccer, I watched Arsenal thrash Newcastle. It ended 3-0 and could have been much worse. Newcastle could have made it a game in the second half, but once Owen hit the crossbar instead of finishing, Arsenal just took charge again.

Juventus gave up a late goal and drew 1-1. This is the season they truly return to European football and I’m not sure that they have the horses to fight on all fronts. It would be nice if they finished in the top 3 again and make the last 16 of the Champions League. Not sure that they can really expect to win either competition.

That’s it. By next week I should be done with first season of Rome, and hope to have some thoughts about it. Here’s one: IT’S NOT HISTORICALLY ACCURATE!!!

No comments: