Tuesday, September 23, 2008

articles and reviews

A couple of interesting tidbits I came across on the interweb:

--In case you didn’t hear about this fine aspect of the beautiful game, please read the following article:

http://withleather.uproxx.com/?p=9383

Yes, soccer fans/players/coaches are crazy.


--For all you political junkies out there, make sure you are armed with the facts:

http://www.bluetidalwave.com/2008/09/move-over-al-gore-adviser-says-mccain.html

This article warmed my cold, dark heart as few things can.



Now for a couple of movie TV reviews:

I Heart Huckabees

I have been meaning to see this for quite some time. Finally checked it out, and I would definitely have to see it again. There was too much for my small little brain to take in the first time around for me. Quirky, illuminating, uncomfortable. I’m not sure I agree/disagree/don’t understand the philosophical points of the movie. Mark Wahlberg was a pleasant surprise. Seeing him ride his bike around town was quite humorous.


Waiting for Guffman

In a review for Hamlet 2, I heard about this movie. Little did I know that it was done by Christopher Guest (This Is Spinal Tap, Best in Show). As Jeremy D and I talked about this morning, not laugh out loud funny but hilarious nonetheless.

One aspect of the movie, “Stool Capital of the World”, brought back memories of our failed website, stool.com. And the characters were uniquely hilarious. Red white and Blaine. What a great title. Fred Willard really stole the show for me, and Parker Posey was great as a trashy, semi talented fast food employee on the road to nowhere.

Extremely uncomfortable (like Curb Your Enthusiasm, The Office, Extras), which is good and bad. I can’t believe they performed the musical. It was like proverbial car crash that you couldn’t not look at. I squirmed on my couch for a good 10 minutes debating whether to skip ahead or endure it.
So if you like that sort of movie, see it.

House Season 5 premiere

So Wilson and House really weren't friends. Really?? I think Wilson's summary of House at the end was spot on. So now what? Is House going to go thru a time of reflection and change and come out the other end a different person? No. Evidence: Seasons 1-4. Think it's time to wrap this show up.

That was my knee jerk reaction the morning after. Tonight is episode 2. I’ll finish the season but after that, may be time to move on.

Fringe Series Premiere.

Ugckh, with a side of ugckh. I can only suspend so much disbelief. Only one person in the whole world can save your partner and his lab is a Harvard basement and has been deserted for almost 20 years. Don’t worry, flip a switch, update the hardware and equipment, bring in a cow, get in touch with your inner consciousness and presto chango, solution to a deadly airborne virus. Please. And Joshua Jackson’s character could not have been written any worse.
I will not be watching this show. Could have had a House/Fringe double header. No way!!

Alright that’s about it. I plan to have a new poll up in a couple of days. Ta ta for now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My take on Huckabees was how interesting people are when they think they have figured out the meaning of life or a solution to life. When you think you have the answer, you want to foist it on everyone. I was like this with the whole church thing a few years ago. It works for me, therefore it works for everyone.

If House goes immediately into softie mode, I will stop watching. I almost bailed on it last season with all the gibberish with finding replacements. House can gradually change over the course of many seasons but if he suddenly becomes human, it won't be good. The whole appeal of the show is the tension between him being a complete utter prick and his insane diagnostic genius.

If the writers want to humanize House they should do it gradually. I think of how Elliot on Law and Order SVU has changed progressively over several seasons. That's the right way to do it.

Also, check out Mad Men. Possibly the 2nd best show on TV, with House being #1.