Monday, September 29, 2008

The Pirates of the Internet

Last week Brandon and I briefly discussed downloading shows (you can read the comments). With that rise of high speed connections, huge hard drives, and an interest in and ease of digitizing media, file sharing continues to plague the RIAA and MPAA. Granted, they have a case. Artists make a product and expect to be reimbursed if you use that product. That's how capitalism works. Of course, the damages these groups seek when they sue offenders is ludicrous, but I digress. But what about TV shows, especially those on the network stations? Well we will come to that. Let me first outline why I download certain shows off the internet, for free.

First off, there are shows that I enjoy watching and want to continue to watch. However, my schedule does not always permit. For example, any show that comes on before 9:00 at night rules me out (thanks a lot FOX for putting house on at 8:00!). I am putting the kids to bed so that hour is filled up. Also, church meetings, school work, school activities, etc. at times interfere with my TV watching schedule. So, from a selfish standpoint, I want to keep up with my programs. When we lived in TN and we had a DVR there was no problem. In addition I could skip the commercials. But now that I am DVR-less I have to go to greater lengths to watch the shows. But isn’t that what the network/writer/producer wants? Don’t they want an addicted audience? Have they not succeeded? They very fact that I go to such lengths as to find a torrent, and then download the show, and then set up my laptop so my wife and I can watch tells me that they are doing something right.

Second, many stations are putting their shows online anyway. The networks especially, but USA puts the shows I like (Burn Notice, Monk, and Psych) online as well. What’s the difference? Well, one difference is marketing. You have to sit through some commercials before and during the shows online, just as if you were watching it on TV (unless you have a DVR). Now I grant that commercial sponsors are how they can put their shows on TV and keep things running, but really I think commercials have lost their effectiveness. Or, putting shows from premiere stations (HBO, Showtime, etc.) is like stealing because those are special pay channels. And they surely aren’t putting their shows online.

It seems that people who digitize shows and put them up for others to share have been put in the same category as bootleggers (cue the Seinfeld episode). But they aren’t even close to the same thing. This is where the “gray area” comes in for me. Is it wrong to use your DVR to record "Dancing with the Stars" and then put it on the internet at no charge for others to see. After all, you weren't charged to see it. And you aren't charging money for others to see it. Where's the problem? The problem, according to the law, is that you are taking someone else’s intellectual property (if you want to call shows like “Dancing with the Stars” such a thing) and repackaging it (i.e. digitizing and distributing). And here is where the rubber meets the road for me. If you take that show, download it, put it on a DVD and sell it or even keep it in your archives, that seems wrong. But if you download it just to watch it and then delete it from your computer, I see less offense (if any). You are watching the creation of another and taking enjoyment from it without hurting their bottom line. And that is why I do it.

If you feel differently, please let me know. Brandon, you have chimed in already and are free to do so again.
What do you think about downloading shows? Right? Wrong? Gray area? Love to hear from you.

No comments: