Sunday, July 13, 2008

Be Kind




I am not sure how to preface this post. I think I should start at the beginning of my Michel Gondry experience. You have seen his movies, but his work really began as a director of music videos. Think Bjork. Think most of the White Stripes videos. Remember that Foo Fighters video where the guy had really big hands? Radiohead used him a few times. Then think of his movies. Like, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. You get the idea that this director is off his rocker.

When you watched Eternal Sunshine, you got a funny movie but it was more of a thoughtful funny than your typical Jim Carey film. The same can be said with Be Kind.

Almost everything he makes looks like a junior high film project. Low definition, lots of messes. Yet, I guess I need to say it, Genius.

Be kind rewind was just that. It was a thin story line that made almost no sense except in the genius of what it accomplished in the end.

The movie, Be Kind Rewind starring Jack Black and Mos Def was by far the weirdest movie I have seen since Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

In short, Mos Def and Jack Black end up making a bunch of Sweded movies (a joke in th e film which means they made remakes of movies with themselves as the actors and directors and rented them out to customers from their video store). Here's the thing you need to know in advance. It is not a laugh-a-minute comedy like Dumb & Dumber or Anchorman. It is an artistic movie and a visual movie that also has funny moments. It is a comedy in the Shakespearean sense rather than the Will Farrell sense.

The direction is incredible, very creative. It took a wild imagination to make this movie.

However, the movie isn't the entire treat. The website is dedicated to the whole idea of Sweding things. They even Swede the internet. It also kindly shows all the Sweded movies from the Movie itself plus a few more geniusly Sweded films as well. My personal favorite is the Sweded copy of The Lord of the Rings. I laughed hard for hours with this stuff. Check it out and let me know what your favorite Sweded movie is. This is the instant gratification funny ha ha that you may have expected from the movie.

2 comments:

mindbender said...

I'm glad to find out that there is someone else that agrees with me about this movie. Everyone I went to see it with left not liking it. I really enjoyed it though.

The best sweded film I've seen is this Tron remake. It's pretty well done.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=m52ST93YG44

Brandon Caroland said...

You have to check out the website, where you watch the trailer and then watch how the director swedes the trailer. hilarious!