Friday, July 18, 2008

Everything that's Wrong with America...

I just realized that I hate almost all American humor, especially in the form of movies made by the major movie studios. Maybe not hate, it's hard to hate something so bland and unoriginal that it's easy to ignore. That would be like hating rice, I mean, it's rice, you really can't have strong feelings about rice.

So I guess I mean, I find most American comedy about as funny as rice. There's just nothing there. Last night I watched Jon Stewart go off on a tangent regarding The New Yorker illustration about Obama for about 15 minutes. I did not laugh, neigh I did not even crack a smile and as of this moment I have absolutely no recollection of what he said. That is, if comedy should be memorable, it wasn't comedy. We finally flipped to Food Network because we were both bored. That is, if comedy should not be boring, it wasn't comedy. Politics aren't funny, politics are less entertaining than rice.

Chick flicks I can't get into. I like romance so in fact I really should like chick flicks. I usually can't empathize with the heroine, cause she's normally a cute, extra smiley dillweed. She's beautiful rice. That's all that really matters if you're starring in a romantic comedy. You need to be beautiful, the end. I actually thought the premise of 27 Dresses looked interesting, the follow through left EVERYTHING to be desired. I spent the entire one hundred and eleven minutes wishing the heroine wasn't such a victim/martyr but then she wouldn't need a hero would she. Why should I root for this person! What about this person should make me want her to have happily ever after! She doesn't need a man, she needs a spine! Not funny.

Anything by National Lampoon, not funny. Disgusting perverted rice. There may have been a time when National Lampoons political irreverence (or political correctness irreverence) was funny, but that time has long past. I only made it through Van Wilder because I was crocheting a blanket and therefore not technically looking at the screen the entire time. If I had been I think I would have lasted a mere 5 minutes...maybe less. Again, I never laughed out loud. And yes, this movie was obviously geared towards guys so it's not like anyone was trying to make me personally laugh or anyone of the female gender. But hey, I like fart jokes and I STILL DIDN'T LAUGH! You can't push the poop envelope and think it's going to be funny, it's poop.

Black comedy, not funny. Ok, I'm a white girl so I'm at a distinct disadvantage when it comes to understanding black comedy. But I remember in the 80's/ early 90's Bill Cosby was funny, Whoopi Goldberg was funny. The Wayans Brothers? Not funny. Chris Rock?....sometimes funny if you can understand the words that are coming out of his mouth...which is not always true. I respect that black comedy is more realistic nitty gritty, it's just not funny. I do believe it takes a unique and original person to be able to put a new spin on themes that are totally overdone in black american comedy. (thus ends my most racest rant ever)

I could also get into the "College" flicks that are currently so popular. I know I went to a religious school so my views on college are colored by my experience. And I'm sure that for some people college really is a huge drunken frat party but give me a break! Considering the hundreds of thousands of people in college in the United States, what tiny fraction does this stereotype actually work for? And how many others are just disgusted by the sterotype Hollywood is trying to project for monetary gain?

Now, here's the real funny.

Movies
Hot Fuzz- British
Shaun of the Dead- British
Napoleon Dynamite- Independant

Web
The Retarded Policeman -Unique and original
Gorgeous Tiny Chicken Machine Show - proving that funny doesn't have to make sense
Homestarrunner - And oldy but a goody

TV
Pushing Daisies- totally original
Scrubs- multi racial man love
The Office - Stolen from a British show
30 Rock - Tina Fey raising the bar for female comedians everywhere.

TV that should have been
Arrested Development
Firefly


*This blog cut short because I forgot that the Dark Knight is now in theaters....but you get the point.

Now as Official Friday Blogger I claim rights to add to my post even though it has been Saturday morning for 1 hour and 37 minutes here in California and has long since been Saturday morning in Michigan.

Just got back from the Dark Knight which I won't ruin for anyone who hasn't seen it yet but I will say several things.

Firstly, it's a long movie, when you think it's over, it's not over.

Secondly, it's an intense movie. I am not an easily upset at movies but I was required at more than one point in the movie to close my eyes and plug my ears. Yes, INTENSE.

And thirdly, I was repeatedly saddened through the movie at the thought that this is what Heath Ledger will be remembered for. It's a great movie, and he did a great job, but I definatly don't think that I would want to be remembered for playing a homicidal maniac.

I would rather he went out on a high note.

I would rather he not have went out at all.

13 comments:

Brandon Caroland said...

You obviously haven't watched the last three seasons of South Park. Killer. It took me a minute to get over all the profanity but after i numbed myself to it, the show is funnier than the Simpsons ever was. It actually has morals and makes fun of liberals and scientologists (what more could you ask for?)
The Chapelle Show was amazing.It was one of the last original shows to break new ground. "Does Wayne Brady have to choke a bitch?" Especially season 2.
On YouTube check out "Juggernaut Bitch" where this black guy dubbed over an episode of the X-Men Cartoon.
I agree with all of your choices and call into question your misspelling of "Racist".
Dumb & Dumber was the funniest thing ever put on celluloid. Ever.
Mel Brooks is incredibly funny.
And Old School made me gut laugh.
Home Fries would be my indie closet classic, along with Bottle Rocket. Office Space. If you haven't seen it then I understand your plight. And if you haven't seen Office Space, I conjure up Idiocracy, Rushmore, and Election. these are all very funny American MOvies. Even Night At the Museum was funny. Meet the Parents (not the fockers, that was awful). Cable Guy! Mystery Men! Pee Wee's Big Adventure! UHF! Raising Arizona! DODGEBALL! ORGAZMO! I'm getting tired from typing all of these funny movies. MOst of which were much funnier than Hot Fuzz (which was really funny). Wedding Crashers: gross, but funny. TOMMY BOY! TOMMY BOY! ANCHORMAN: RON BURGUNDY. Tom's gonna kill me if I don't mention GHOST BUSTERS or Fletch. PLAINS TRAINS AND AUTOMOBILES! And do we have to get into the Steve Martin argument again and drag Ben's feelings through the mud?
Come now, you may have overstated your case a little.

Brandon Caroland said...

Oh and about the Joker Role. Let's not forget that it's not just "the role of a homicidal maniac", it is the role of THE homicidal maniac. And other than brokeback mountain (which will be debated between those who have and mostly thosee who haven't seen the movie) it will be considered his greatest work, at least compared to 10 Things I Hate About You.

Bristol Crowne said...

In regards to the Joker I like how you prove my point why seemingly arguing with me.

What my point was is that it's sad to me that this is the legacy he has left his daughter. If she ever wants to see him at his best, he's either gay or the bad guy....the REALLY bad guy.

Bristol Crowne said...

oh, and other than Office Space I disagree about every other movie you mentioned. I could have put those movies under the chapter "Stupid Humor" I just ran out of time.

Dan said...

when you said black comedy, i thought you were going to be talking about movies like Very Bad Things or Heathers...

I'll admit to not having seen all of brokeback mountain, but what i did see, i can't call the best work of either of the lead actors. it maybe felt that way because of the nature of the characters' relationship, but bottom line is, it's a doomed-romance kinda movie, and the only thing "special" about there standard love-struck performance was that instead of man-woman it was man-man... good performances, but if they put forth the same talent opposite a female, it wouldn't have been so highly regarded -- i guess i'm just tired of this being considered their greatest acting, when it was really only their most controversial.... watch the brothers grimm if you want to see heath ledger act just as well opposite a man and receive no kudos.... guess he should have banged matt damon in it....

10 things i hate about you is an excellent chick flick... i'm normally bored by chick flicks, but that one was hilarious, thanks largely to ledger ...

crystal, how dare you place Planes, Trains, and Automobiles, bottle rocket, rushmore, and raising arizona in the stupid humor heading... you can't have seen them... same to just throw mel brooks in there... many of his newer movies, yes, but watch his old stuff and he gets his own genre.

anyway tho, overall, enjoyed the post... but had to disagree with some of the sentiment

Dan said...

sorry, but also, everything you listed in web humor is the stupidest of stupid humor...
we need stupid humor, you just happen to enjoy those particular brands of stupid humor

i miss you!

Brandon Caroland said...

I made my point by inflating yours. Daddy's role is an iconic one. One that will never be forgotten. Daddy isn't a bad guy, he plays one in the movies. He may have done the best job ever.

There is a stupid humor category, but stupid humor isn't unfunny.

I agree with Dan, you can't have seen most of those movies to cast them under the blanket of "stupid humor".

Dark comedies: HEATHERS. there isn't a darker one. Maybe Donnie Darko.

Idiocracy was along the same lines (same writer,creator, director, producer, and most of the same actors) as Office Space, only cast in the future.

Bristol Crowne said...

Ok, so I'm just going to repeat the very first line of my post, "I hate almost all American humor, especially in the form of movies made by the major movie studios."
In saying so I disregarded all independent films and was considering on "movies made by the major movie studios".
So forget about Bottle Rocket etc. Those have nothing to do with what I'm talking about and were brought up by someone who didn't read carefully enough and thus I repeat yet again, "I hate almost all American humor, especially in the form of movies made by the major movie studios."

Brandon Caroland said...

I think you are just being negative. You need to get out and party.

Austin Long said...

donnie darko was a comedy?

Regan Clem said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Regan Clem said...

Nobody mentioned Little Miss Sunshine. That was the funniest movie I have ever seen. However, I do not know its nation of origin.

And I removed that last post because I said naughty things that you will never know unless you subscribe to the comments. I did not think of that. Now I am in trouble.

Seriously, I tried to include a link to my little miss sunshine review on my blog, but it was too long and did not reproduce properly. However, if you really want to read my review (another shameless plug) then you should go to my blog and use the search box for "Little Miss Sunshine." It came right up for me.

Brandon Caroland said...

Donnie Darko was funny...to me.