Tuesday, July 1, 2008

what now?

Euro 2008 is over. I know that you don’t care but I do. There’s always a let down after a big tournament, and after 3 weeks of really great games, there will be an even bigger drop than usual. I’m glad Spain won on a lot of levels. Not the greatest final but it did demonstrate the gulf in class between the two teams. For greater insight into the final read these two articles from Soccernet.com contributors:

Spain
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=552825&sec=euro2008&root=euro2008&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab1pos1&cc=5901

Germany
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=552769&sec=euro2008&root=euro2008&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab1pos2&cc=5901

There is another gap in my life as well. The Tony Kornheiser show is on hiatus as TK Stack Money goes on vacation and prepares for Monday Night Football. His show via podcast is truly one of the highlights of my day. I’ll have to wait until January for more craptastic entertainment.

In lieu of that, I went podcast hunting. Here’s what I found:

Smodcast. Kevin Smith’s podcast with cohort Scott Mosier. The first one I downloaded was absolutely dreadful. It was Kevin and his daughter doing a special Father’s Day edition. UGH!!! I went back and got an older one, which was a little better. I’m going to give next week’s a shot and go from there. I’m on the fence on this one.

Diggnation. This video podcast focuses on articles from digg.com. Funny funny funny. The hosts drinking beer during the show adds a fantastic element to the show. Kevin Rose reminds me a lot of Jim from the Office.

A sister video podcast of Diggnation is the Totally Rad Show. I’m about halfway through my first one. It’s OK. Review of movies and gaming and tech culture. The hosts are almost dorky cool, but don’t quite pull it off. I’m going to give this another try. A lot of the stuff I’m not even familiar with so that might be an issue.

Finally, I watched the Onion video podcast. I almost peed my pants it was so funny. That one I’ll definitely get into.

Other ones I will be checking out, Ask a Ninja, Attack of the Show, and Dan Carlin’s Hardcore History.

My ipod nano is sweet. The video quality is quite remarkable. Yes it’s tiny but amazing nonetheless. I can sit on the porch while Larry plays and be responsible while being entertained. I’m planning to load it up for my drive to Mississippi later this month. Erin is going to be a lot of driving.

Finally, I’ve started BSG season 3. The human insurgency thread was interesting in that the question is raised, What will you do for freedom? The humans wanted to be freed from the Cylon occupation and the envelope kept getting pushed until suicide bombing became a real option. Everyone is against terrorism these days, and I am too, but I also realize that part of the foundation of this country is a group that rose up against those that they deemed to be the oppressors, used a mix of standard and guerilla tactics and pushed the colonizers out. Just something to keep in mind.

And on that pleasant note, I gotta go.

4 comments:

Sam said...

Kevin Rose is great. I miss his boyish charm from the days of "The Screen Savers" on TechTV. His drinking antics are still funny. More quirky shows like the one you mentioned can be found at http://revision3.com/

Brandon Caroland said...

Did you see the trailer for Heroes Season 3: Villains?

Austin Long said...

brandon, no. is this something i need to follow up on? i still haven't seen a season 1 of heroes.

Brandon Caroland said...

I guess watch the first two seasons first. then watch the trailer for season 3.