Tuesday, July 8, 2008

can i add flair to my posts? here we go . . .

The fourth of July has come and gone. Ho hum. I’m not a big fireworks guy. Loud, annoying, not very dynamic. I took Larry to watch the Sharp Park fireworks because he wanted to. He ended up “not wanting to watch them” and after several attempts at discipline, I picked him up and left. I went because of him and if he doesn’t want to watch, then it’s night night time.

I was confronted with the fact that maybe I’m missing a summer strand of the American DNA. I don’t like fireworks, I don’t like swimming, I can tolerate hot dogs, I try to avoid the sun at all costs. El sol is not my friend. Maybe I have some mutant strain that will prove either impervious or highly vulnerable to the changing world of the next 25 years. Only time will tell.

I checked out a recent Underworld album from library last week. I think I have found my new favorite ambient song, “Best Mamgu Ever”. It’s right up there with Halcyon and on and on from Orbital and Children by Robert Miles. Right in my chill out wheel house. Find it on limewire or rhapsody or tell me how to insert into a post.

Speaking of inserting media into a post, I have tried to insert an Onion News Network video podcast into this week’s post.




How great is that? It’s perfect for me. I’m totally following every single piece of advice.

This weekend I made a pretty heavy bet (20 cents) on Roger Federer to win the Men’s, excuse me, Gentlemen’s Title at Wimbledon. I figured he’s the king of grass, he’s had Nadal’s number in the past, and even though Nadal is closing the gap, Federer should hang on. Of course, what happens? There is no thing as a sure bet and Nadal won in 5 sets over 7 hours. Thank God this is free, because I suck at gambling, and if it was real I’d probably be in the bottom of some river courtesy of the bookies.

3 comments:

Sam said...

I found “Best Mamgu Ever” and agree – great song. I never knew that you and I shared a liking for “Halcyon and on and on”. I could listen to that song on repeat for hours.

As for the fireworks, we were driving home at nighttime and the kids enjoyed seeing them explode around the van. I enjoy creating a fireworks show more than watching. Maybe it is the pyro in me. Maybe it is my personality that likes a smooth, ordered presentation.

Finally, I hate the sun too. I hate the beach. I prefer 70 degree weather with the wind blowing (think late spring/early fall) – sun is optional.

Austin Long said...

Halcyon is such a great track. Orbital did semi-mash (before mashing was even a term) on one album i have. it's awesome.

here are some movies that the song appears in.

Hackers (1995) • Halcyon + On + On (shortened version) • used as the film's theme

Mortal Kombat (1995) • Halcyon + On + On

Groove (2000) • Halcyon + On + On

CKY2K (2001) • Halcyon + On + On

Mean Girls (2004) • Halcyon + On + On (not on soundtrack)

one movie that wikipedia missed was "shopping" which was one of jude law's first movies.

Brandon Caroland said...

I really like all that stuff Leigh Nash (Sixpence Nonethericher) did with Delerium.