Friday, July 4, 2008

Remind me why I do this?

Tonight I discovered that getting to know new people shows me how truly boring and self-centered I am.

Like when people find out I'm a librarian they always ask me what books I like to read. That's always a bad question because, in all earnestness, I like to read romance and fluff. I like regency fantasy romance, and if that isn't a genre then I'm going to start writing it. I don't read to bone up on non-fiction, that's what the internet is for. And I don't read to discuss it with other people, I personally don't care what other people think of books. I read to escape my own drama.

And when people talk about current events, I know only the bare minimum. I know 1) Obama vs. McCain, 2) Wild fires in Napa, 3) Soaring gas prices, 4) ....crap, I was really stretching for three. I don't keep up with current events because they're depressing. I don't follow the minutia of politics for the same reason I hated middle school. I don't keep up with the war in Iraq because the same crap has been happening for 6 years now. And I don't care that the Olympics are in China. I only read the news at msnbc.com for "news of the weird" and "wonderful world" the least depressing of all news stories.

Let's move on. "What do you do for a living?". Um, a whole lot of nothing. Nothing to talk about there. "What do you do with your time?". I read a lot of books. Oh crap! And then we're back to the beginning.

"What kind of TV do you like to watch". Part of me is really embarrased but here's the list. Jon and Kate Plus Eight, What Not to Wear, 10 Years Younger, and Ghost Hunters. And I'll watch some History Channel when they have stuff on UFO's or monsters. And I like TLC when they have documentaries on really crazy diseases or midgets. Movies are pretty much the same. I really don't like drama of any sort or anything with any educational or moral value.

So anyway, I'm getting to know people and they're getting to know me, whether or not they like me has yet to be seen.

In other news today was kinda cool. We cycled down to Negro Bar, yes, it's really called that. There are huge flat rocks in the water. People just swim out and find a nice flat place and chill. It was fun. The water is super clear compared to Michigan and even though it was cold, the sun was so hot it makes it all equal out. And a fun day was had by all.

3 comments:

Brandon Caroland said...

I hang out at the Negro Bar all the time. Talk about feeling out of place!

Brandon Caroland said...

Plus there is a fantasy romance genre. It's called erotica. It is found at your local borders or Barnes & Noble most often in the form of Vampire stories. But I'm sure there's a market out there for girls who wanna hook up with guys in space suits or wizards with "magic wands"

Brandon Caroland said...

Does everything I say have to be inappropriate?