Tuesday, July 22, 2008

the dandy warhols, the watchmen and movie reviews

So I found several exciting things on the interweb in the last couple of weeks.

First, the Dandy Warhols are releasing a new album and going on tour. They will be in Chicago in September, and I am working on putting a road trip together. Sweet.

I have listened to the new album on the website, and it’s ok. Several songs are good but it’s not a strong album top to bottom like Gone Down. I’ll give it several more listens before deciding whether to buy it track by track or God forbid, buy the CD, which is so 1998.

For a sampling of their videos and music, go here: http://www.dandywarhols.com/video.php

Also, with positive reports coming back re: The Dark Knight, I have also heard there is a Watchmen trailer floating around. Here is a link to 2’ trailer—http://watchmen--trailer.blogspot.com/

In a word, amazing. Also, I found a website that breaks down the trailer frame by frame and compares it with the graphic novel. http://www.geekanerdblog.com/2008/07/watchmen-movie-trailer-dissected.html

Wow. Here’s hoping the movie is closer to Sin City (frame by frame representation of the original) than to V for Vendetta (rearranged chronology with a terrible ending).

A couple of movie reviews:

The Lookout. Interesting idea. Imagine a subdued version of Memento. The movie really builds on itself with several layers introduced throughout the film. It was ok. Worth seeing once.

The Assassination of Jesse James. What can I say? I’m not getting those almost 3 hours back. Seems like they spend a lot of time on the wrong things. The opening sequence of the bank robbery for one. Anyway, Bob Ford’s character was quite confused and I was as well. As for the final confrontation, according to Wikipedia, that’s how it went down, so it must be true. But seriously, really?

Network. What a film! I saw again last weekend, and if you have not seen it, rent it tonight. An eerie insight into contemporary media. Entertaining information and if that doesn’t work, entertainment at all costs. Whatever brings in the viewers and the advertisers. Faye Dunaway is amazing as the cutthroat bitch. Having sex and programming a TV network. Now that’s focus.

Next week I’ll be in Mississippi. I’m trying to work on my first auto post. We’ll see how that goes.

TTFN.

PS: Brandon, I have been listening to Sigur Ros on Pandora. I haven’t heard a song I like by them but the other bands on the station I like. I’ll keep listening.

2 comments:

Regan Clem said...

Did you like the Watchmen comic? If so, what about it did you like?

Out of any comic film, I felt this would be the one most needing a rewrite because it is such a period piece set in the 80s. It really needs a different meaning to connect with today's audience.

So an Alan Moore book gets adapted like the book for once. Unfortunately, it will be the one that needed the most changes. League of Extraordinary Gentlemen or V for Vendetta would have been much better panel for panel adaptations. Those were both comics that I enjoyed.

Personally, I never enjoyed the book and cannot understand why it is one of the more hyped books. I am happy that it sells, but I never recommend it. I am also happy that the trailer and the pre-movie hype will cause more books to sell. I find it interesting that people stop buying once the movies come out. Their is this inherent American disease that we want to be ahead of the curve on knowing cool entertainment when in actuality we are just going along with the curve.

Brandon Caroland said...

As far as the Sigur Ros station, thanks for checking it out at least. Somehow they make a real emotional connection with me late at night. I think it's the lack of tape loops I like and the androgynous voice of the singer. There are a bunch of other great things on there too
Mogwai, Massive Attack, My Morning Jacket, Dustin O'Hall, Deathcab, Radiohead, etc.
These guys are influencing a lot of modern in that sort of ethereal genre sans tape loops. They are in tons of movie soundtracks and I thought you might like it. Oh well.