Friday, July 11, 2008

My New Favorite Thing

There are certain things I really enjoy that I don't tend to share with other people because, let's face it, I'd totally get ripped on for it. And currently there is a tv show I enjoy but Ben hates it so much he will not stay in the same room with me while it's on.

So yeah, it's Ghost Hunters on SciFi. I love it!

It's not like a believe in ghosts so much as I've always been really intrigued by the idea of them. In addition I also really like being scared so it works on two levels. Ever since I was a little kid I've always loved ghost stories which were always in store at the old family reunion campfire time. Then, with the help of the interweb, I get about as much in the way of ghost stories, photos, and videos as I could possibly want.

And yet, I still love Ghost Hunters. I think I like the human side of it. Most of the people are not overly annoying and I like how they react to things. There's one guy who's afraid of heights and bugs, but apparently not ghosts. So they'll be walking around in the dark and he'll start jumping and cussing and it's a bug!

They try to debunk as much as they can. The two leaders are plumbers so they know that pipes tend to knock around and make noise and they know that certain sinks really can turn on by themselves and why. They also know that mold can cause paranoia and hallucinations, strong electrical fields around power boxes can make you feel like you're being watched. And yet sometimes they do come away with things they cannot explain.

Let me reiterate one more time, I don't really believe in ghost as much as I'm intrigued with the idea, as a spiritual person I can honestly say that something is out there, which leaves some room to hypothesize. Not that anyone will ever prove the existence of ghosts, all one can hope for is to disprove as much as you can and whatever is left is up for evaluation and conjecture. I'm ok with that.

And it's just fun! I like to be scared, I like to use my imagination, I like to think that there is something more out there than what can be seen and touched and heard. There's also a little place in my heart for Bigfoot and the Loch Ness Monster.

So hey, I don't make fun of you for all your sports and politics, you don't need to make fun of me.

1 comment:

Brandon Caroland said...

Nobody NEEDS to make fun of you. In fact it's not even tempting considering how open you made yourself to ridicule writing an article about ghosts. It's usually more pleasing to make fun when you aren't expecting it.