Tuesday, June 24, 2008

another week living the dream

The Euro 2008 quarterfinals were amazing.

Portugal were overrun by Germany and yet still had a chance to equalize at the end. Scolari really pissed me off with his subs. Simao had to have been one of the disappointments of the entire tournament. Just a waste.

For the Croatia/Turkey game, I wasn’t surprised. I gave up after the first extra period. It was painful to watch. I figured Turkey would win on penalties. Two goals in two minutes was shocking though. I have heard comments that Turkey are this year's Greece. Well we'll see v Germany. Between suspensions and injuries, they'll barely have a team. Ff they win on wed, they will beat whoever they play in the final. A Croatia v Germany rematch would have been quite interesting but you don't mess with destiny.

Holland v Russia showed what a team can do against individuals. Holland fell apart in the second half and were lucky to even be in the game. Arshavin has to be one of the most influential players since Zidane. He makes Russia world class and can single handedly unbalance defenses. Spain didn’t face him the first time around and I feel that Russia will knock out Spain.

The Spain v Italy game went exactly like it was supposed to. Italy defended and Spain couldn't break them down. The only surprise was that Spain held their nerve in the PK's. I would still like that two hours of my life back, but Spain v Russia, partII should be very interesting.

I watched a little bit of The Office, Season 3 this weekend. Uncomfortably funny as usual. The merger plot line is rich in humor and the show made the most of it. How great is Dwight? Tool does not even begin to describe him. I love the dry, sarcastic humor of the background characters. And don’t forget Pretzel Day. I don’t even have that to look forward to.

I find it interesting that my disparaging comments re: Dunkin Donuts raised the ire of the some readers out there. I’m not dissing Dunkin because I work for a competitor. I just hated that commercial. I also find it interesting that since then, Crystal and Brandon have become fans of Dunkin on Facebook.

Speaking of Facebook, the more I explore, the more I realize how much time I could waste on that site. Between chatting, reviewing other people’s profiles, uploading pics, creating bumper stickers and taking the never ending movie challenge, I would have to quit my job and get divorced. I want my page to be DYNAMIC!!! What a loser I am.

2 comments:

Sam said...

The soccer has been awesome. Even better on the TiVo. I have been pulling for Turkey from the beginning just because I visited there a few years back. I never expected them to get past the group stage but that is why teams have to play the entire game - stoppage time and overtime included. I expect the water boy to be the starting striker on Wednesday.

The Office is great and I am happy that most of the seasons have been replayed on TBS, saving me from borrowing, renting or stealing them.

Have you seen Curb Your Enthusiasm Season 6? Talk about uncomfortably funny. Could be the best season yet.

Brandon Caroland said...

Portugal WAS overrun
The Portuguese WERE overrun.

The Office is great. Gets better all the time.

I do not love Curb Your Enthusiasm.

I've been pulling for Turkey for years, but its not something I like to talk about in public. Well done!